Course Pairings

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some opinions on what you think are the best course pairings. I was thinking about the traditional biology with general chem and then take organic chem and physics next year.

I was also thinking about combining the physical sciences and pairing physics and chemistry first and then pairing organic chemistry and biology next year. Has anybody out there taken the courses this way?

One final question, has anybody taken physics, bio and gen chem concurrently, and if so how did you do? That is another option for me, but I worry that it might be a bit much at once because I haven’t taken a science course in 6 or 7 years and I haven’t seen bio, chem and physics since high school. So, I’m interested in seeing if others have done this and how rough it was. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hey sean

well im sure a lot of people here will agree that no combination of courses are that much “easier” than the other… and theres no really getting around it either. I would try and stay away from taking Organic and physics in the same semester - i learned that the hard way.

another way of deciding which “pairing” is the best for you is assessing the type of material is involved in each course and which type of material you are strongest with.

general chem and bio would be a good combo for me because im not strong in math so instead of the double whammy with gen chem and physics, i’d be evening the load with bio instead.

I’ve never seen anyone take organic with bio though. Biology, from what I’ve seen, has always been the course that people take first.

All I can tell you is try to stay away from taking physics and organic at the same time.

Hi BigSean,

I’m starting a post-bac pre-med program this fall, and plan to take inorganic chemistry, gen bio, and physics all together. I know it’ll be a load, but I want to be able to take some more advanced level classes/electives next year (2011-2012 school year), so wanted to get these pre-requisites done.

The post-bac program I’m doing has some AWESOME electives that are JUST for post-bac students, including courses where you get to do cadaver dissection - at the undergrad level! And I really want those experiences, if possible.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

• terra_incognita Said:

I'm starting a post-bac pre-med program this fall, and plan to take inorganic chemistry, gen bio, and physics all together. I know it'll be a load, but I want to be able to take some more advanced level classes/electives next year (2011-2012 school year), so wanted to get these pre-requisites done.

Rule 5: Do Not Risk Bad Grades By Taking Too Much

Rule 7: Learn To Be a Student

I am assuming that if your are taking gen chem and gen bio that you are returning to school for the first time perhaps in while. Remember that good grades and high GPA is the perhaps the most important factor considered by adcoms. So be careful of taking too much too soon and not doing well. The question I always ask students is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

I took physics, bio, and gen chem in the same semester and got A’s in all. I’m smart, but not ‘rockstar’ bright - I had to hit the books hard. I was working about 10 hours/wk at my job.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I’m not sure if the advice for learning to be a student again was meant for me or not, but, I’m actually just finishing up a graduate program in business, so I’m still in full on student mode, I just haven’t taken a science course since my junior year of college and that was Astronomy.

I had chemistry, biology and physics in high school and did well in them, so I am just trying to get a feel for the level of difficulty I can expect if I try to take all three courses together at the college level. I expect the load to be a difficult one, but at the same time, I think that taking a difficult schedule and doing well in it would show that I am capable of handling the Med School Curriculum, any thoughts???

Would it be possibel for you to share with me the rules that you have in what to do and not to do. I believe it can be of help to me and others who are new in this journey.