Critique of plan

I am hoping to apply to medical school in 2015 (hope to start medical school in Fall 2016). I work full time as an engineer, and plan to keep it that way until I begin medical school (probably stop working a few months before). I am married, but haven’t told the wife my plans yet.

I took an introductory Anatomy and Physiology class last semester at the local comm college (LPN’s, EMT’s, and people beginning the RN program were most of the students in the class) and got an A.

Summer 2013 - Gen. Chem 2 at local CC, 5 credit hrs, 3 nights a week, 6-10pm

Fall 2013 - Organic Chem 1 at local CC, 5 credit hours, 2 nights a week, 6-10pm

Spring 2014 - Organic Chem 2 at local CC, 5 credit hours, 2 nights a week, 6-10pm

Summer 2014 - Gen. Bio 1 at local CC, 5 credit hrs, 3 nights a week, 6-10pm

Fall 2014 - Gen. Bio 2 at local CC, 5 credit hrs, 2 nights a week, 6-10pm

Alternate:

Summer 2013 - Gen. Chem 2 at local CC, 5 credit hrs, 3 nights a week, 6-10pm

Fall 2013 - Organic Chem 1 at local CC, 5 credit hours, 2 nights a week, 6-10pm

Spring 2014 - Organic Chem 2 at local CC, 5 credit hours, 2 nights a week, 6-10pm

Fall 2014 - Gen. Bio 1 at local CC, 5 credit hrs, 2 nights a week, 6-10pm

Spring 2015 - Gen. Bio 2 at local CC, 5 credit hrs, 2 nights a week, 6-10pm

I am hoping to take the MCAT in 2014 before the new 2015 MCAT comes out, as I do not want to have to deal with the extra stuff on the new test. Working full time + prereqs will not be easy for me. The local comm college is 20+ miles away, not to mention the time needed to actually study for my classes.

This semester, Spring 2013, I am not taking any classes, as none were offered at the comm college (I plan to move after my lease is up, the comm college there has WAY MORE class offerings).

I have the syllabus for the chem class I plan to take during the summer, as well as the textbook, and was thinking of reading the chapters. Should I also do this for organic and bio, just to get some familiarity? I want to be as best prepared as I can be for what is coming up. Right now I have much free time, and thought to use it.

Overall it doesn’t seem horrible although based on your proposed 2014 MCAT date, it looks dicey. You would be taking it without having all or any of your biology classwork. Also, in terms of your MCAT prep, you’re going to have to allocate a fair chunk time no matter when you take it but 2014 means doing your fitting in your prep with work, classes and any other obligations. Seems like it’d be rough.

I worked full time as an engineer while I did my pre-reqs so my plan was very similar to yours. I’m planning on quitting a couple months before medical school starts in August. But I’ll be going to medical school so it was all worth it.

If you’re looking to avoid taking the 2015 MCAT, I would go with the alternate plan. Since the MCAT is only offered Jan to September, I’m assuming you’re going to spend the summer of 2014 (May to July) studying for the MCATs so you can take it in August before fall semester starts?

Working full time and taking classes was not easy for me. I took organic chemistry I & II at a community college about 50 miles away so there were many nights I skipped dinner, many nights I came home at 11pm. It sucks, you’re tired, and your backs hurts. But how bad do you want to be a doctor?

The only issue with your alternate plan is that you’re pushing Bio 1 and Bio 2 until after your MCAT so you’ll be a little light on your BS portion of the MCAT. If you’re like me (BS in Computer Engineering), I relied on my PS to make up for my OK performance in the BS section.

If you got some free time now, I would suggest you buy the Kaplan subject books (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Organic Chemistry) and read them cover to cover twice.

Good luck.

• dnelsen Said:
You would be taking it without having all or any of your biology classwork.

BAD idea!

You said, “I am married, but haven’t told the wife my plans yet.”

To me, this is the worst idea. I don’t know your wife, but it is cruel to just present a spouse with a fully-thought-out plan and expect her to cooperate. I am finishing medical school in a few months, and I could never have finished without the unequivocal support of my husband, even though, at 53 and 54, we don’t have small children to care for. Ask her soon if she could support you in this crazy ambition, because if not, you may have to choose between your marriage and your ambition, and I would say to choose your marriage.

Sincerely,

Jeanybean

I agree that this should not be kept secret from the wife, and I do plan to tell her soon enough. Just trying to ease it in… She doesn’t really know anyone who has gone back to school in this manner, so I need to first expalin how it can be done, and then how I plan to go about it.

She has been very cooperative so far with my study schedule when I was studying for a licensing exam (I passed!), and I told her I took classes on the side for interest, which she was also cool with.

But yes, I agree that I will need her support for sure. I am sure that the earlier I mention it, the better.

In other news, it’s tax season and annual bonus time! YE$$$$$

Update, circumstances dictate change of plans.

Good news: I will have my Biology coursework completed before the MCAT. General Chemistry as well.

Bad news: No formal Organic Chemistry course before MCAT. Self study + YouTube + Khan Academy + EK books + TBR + any other suggestions?

I know it isn’t the best idea, but I will likely now take the MCAT June 2014 without Organic Chemistry formally. If I mess up, I can take it again in September 2014. If messed up again, then…well, I’ll cross that bridge if I get to it.

My questions are as follows:

1. As far as most schools are concerned, MCAT scores are valid for 3 years correct? Or would I have to apply next cycle? I was planning to wait a cycle.

2. Please share with my any and all self-help resources with regards to Organic Chemistry. I am hoping I can at least attempt questions. I pick up concepts fairly quickly, it is just a matter of having the right resources.

Unfortunately, I cannot quit my job. I know I could do much better if I could devote all of my time to this, but one must play with the cards they are dealt.