Current Events In Medicine?

In my copious free time (HA!) I’m trying my best to keep up with current events in medical practice / medical research.

So I’m wondering: Where do the rest of you go to get your info?

I’ve compiled a list of a few good Web sites, as well as a handful of health / medicine / research podcasts (a few from NPR and a couple from different medical schools). I’m still in the process of trying out the podcasts and Web sites to determine which ones I like the best (and which ones are the most helpful). I’ll probably post my favorites when I’m done doing that.

But I’d also love to hear where others go to read about / listen to this stuff.

Thanks!

Note: I’m also planning to keep track of the most important/interesting issues–i.e., print-outs of articles or abstracts, taking brief notes on the podcasts–so I have that info handy for interviews, shadowing (to help me ask intelligent questions and be aware of current issues in the field), etc. Maybe it sounds anal, but I think it’ll be really helpful in the long run.

• terra_incognita Said:
In my copious free time (HA!) I'm trying my best to keep up with current events in medical practice / medical research.

So I'm wondering: Where do the rest of you go to get your info?

I've compiled a list of a few good Web sites, as well as a handful of health / medicine / research podcasts (a few from NPR and a couple from different medical schools). I'm still in the process of trying out the podcasts and Web sites to determine which ones I like the best (and which ones are the most helpful). I'll probably post my favorites when I'm done doing that.

But I'd also love to hear where others go to read about / listen to this stuff.

Thanks!

Note: I'm also planning to keep track of the most important/interesting issues--i.e., print-outs of articles or abstracts, taking brief notes on the podcasts--so I have that info handy for interviews, shadowing (to help me ask intelligent questions and be aware of current issues in the field), etc. Maybe it sounds anal, but I think it'll be really helpful in the long run.

Virtually all the major medical organizations have free newsletters, list-serves, etc. I have so many in my inbox it is ridiculous

AMA, AOA, AAMC, AACOM, AMSA, SOMA, NMSA, GME

That should keep you out of trouble and off the streets in your copious free time