D.O. programs???

Since, I’m back on track I was looking into DO programs. Can anyone tell me about their admission process? What programs are looking for and advice for admission.

erp,

Congrats on getting “back on track”. This site gave me much information and inspiration when I was first on my journey.

As a current OMS1 I can offer only my own experience with the process. The obvious is that you need to bring to the table good grades and a good MCAT score. Our matriculating class average this year was a 28…i know individuals who got in with 26’s. My personal grades were not stellar from my previous undergrad in sports med. 3.0. My post bacc was good with a 3.9. The one thing I can add from my time with my class mates is that every student who matriculated here has an awesome story. Strong and passionate reasons for not only why a physician, but why a DO. The long and short of it is to bring something more than grades to the table. As a non-trad, we have the advantage of life experience, many of us have had leadership roles in corporate life, etc. Whatever that experience is for you that feeds your passion and sets you apart needs to be celebrated within your personal statement, and application. Have as many great ECs as you can while still having balance, but dont just shadow or volunteer or shlub for research just because it will help you “get in”, find something you are passionate about, as that will show in your application and your interview. I hope that helps in some way, best of luck.

• everyroutepossible Said:
Since, I'm back on track I was looking into DO programs. Can anyone tell me about their admission process? What programs are looking for and advice for admission.

Two important difference in MD and DO application mechanics that make osteopathic attractive to nontrads.

MD has science GPA as ONLY BCMP (biology, chemistry, math, physics). Any other course is non-science or AO (all others) as they call them. Additionally MD process counts EVERY college class you ever took with virtually no exception. Each and every grade you got in every college class you ever took goes into your MD application GPA.

For DO, science GPA includes all sciences of any kind but no math. Math is considered a non science. Also, DO uses only the latest grade for a class for it application GPA calculation. So if you took Organic years ago and got a C and retake it now and get an A, the A will used.

The DO AACOM/ACCOMAS has a free pdf for the application process (equivalent to the MD AAMC/AMCAS MSAR) that can be found at

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/c ib/Pages/default.aspx