D.O. vs. M.D.

I’m sure this has been asked, but I can’t seem to get the search to work for me. I’m wondering what the difference is between D.O. and M.D. Specifically I’m wondering if osteopathic doctors have all the same speciality opportunities that allopathic doctors have. Do you need to be an M.D. to become and anesthesiologist, surgeon, cardiologist, etc?

Thanks in advance,

G

Tstad21,

you can find lots of information about D.O. philosophy on their website AACOM.ORG

And yes - you can specialize in whatever you want if you are a D.O. The initial after your name doesn’t really matter.

May I recommend you start here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=2…

cheers!

To answer your question DOs have the same rights and privileges as MD’s in the U.S. and in many other countries throughout the world. With that said it is not quite that cut and dry at the state level as some states have specific requirements for DO’s (regarding residency, etc) but you should be able to find answers to those and other questions at either of the sites listed in the above posts.

As far as specialty goes as a D.O. you can be anything from a Pediatrician to Surgeon and everything in between (Anesth, Radiologist, etc).

The only specialty I’ve “heard” about being a problem was neurosurgery. I don’t give it much thought. While I can see why the initial reluctance of people going to DO school, in the end all I want to do is practice medicine independently so I don’t care. As long as it’s US and accredited.

BTW I once heard that gas was also out of reach for DO’s and OMD proves that’s a crock. I believe your efforts during school, scores on the COMLEX/USMLE, and attitude have alot more to do with it than any credentials.

While you will have to deal with the snob factor of many who see residencies who accept DO’s & FMG’s as less competitive in the end it’s about treating patients. Now in academia it might be a problem but I doubt it.

Suffice it to say that if I had my choice between DO & MD schools I would go to the one which I feel would provide me a better education and isn’t going to put my wife in BFE while we’re there.

There is a DO neurosurgeon in Bloomington Illinois…Keith Kattner, DO.

There are DO neurosurgeons in Bloomington IL and Aurora, IL

There is one question that I still have regarding DO vs MD.

I am confused on the “internship” issue of osteopathic medical school. From what I have read, the DO “internship” is required and is not paid…yet other sources make it sound like you only have to do it if you are going into general practice…Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I am considering four possibilities at the moment, my first love is Neonatology, second is Allergy/Immunology, then Emergency, then rural Family Medicine.

only 4?

Hi there,

In 2006, there are no specialties that are not open to both MD and DO. The major difference in DO versus MD is that DO medical students learn OMM (manipulations) as part of their medical curriculum. MD students or physicians can elect to take an OMM course but OMM is not part of the allopathic curriculum at present.

Attending either osteopathic or allopathic medical school will grant you a degree that will enable you to practice medicine. Now how you perform in either school may determine what specialties are open to you but not the school attended.

If you do well (look at Old Man Dave) you can determine your fate. If you graduate, you can practice medicine.

Natalie

• njbmd Said:
Hi there,

In 2006, there are no specialties that are not open to both MD and DO.

If you do well (look at Old Man Dave) you can determine your fate. If you graduate, you can practice medicine.

Natalie

That's good to hear - thanks for the clarification. As far as the more competitive residencies go, do you feel that D.O.s face additoinal challenges - or would an MD and DO with the same grades and scores have the same chances?

Hi there,

An MD grad who does well in medical school and on the boards will be in charge of their fate. This applies to DO grads as well.

The mentality that somehow DOs are inferior to MDs is largely in the minds of pre-meds who have never practiced medicine. As the number of DO schools increase and more DOs get out there, there will be less “What’s a DO questions?”

MD or DO, you have have a great career in medicine.

Nat

MissCompassion said:

• Quote:
I am confused on the “internship” issue of osteopathic medical school. From what I have read, the DO “internship” is required and is not paid…yet other sources make it sound like you only have to do it if you are going into general practice…Can anyone enlighten me on this?

The answer is that the DO internship year is simply PGY-1 at an osteopathic training institution. It is paid the same as any PGY-1 position. If you do an osteopathic internship year, when you begin your formal residency program in whatever area you choose, you go in as a PGY-2. For example, if you want to go into family practice, it is normally a 3-year residency. If you do an osteopathic internship year, you will have two years of residency remaining.

As to being required, there are 5 states in which it is required if you want to practice in their states. I know Pennsylvania and West Virginia are two, and I think Florida, Michigan and Oklahoma are the others. But, if you do an allopathic internship/residency, you can usually get AOA approval that will qualify you to practice anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Yea I agree and know this is reality, For some reason the Myths keep being passed on in Premed about DO’s and FMG’s. Truth be known is that DO’s have no different opportunity than MD’s in the US, Better than FMG MD’s. That said the road is not bleak for FMG’s either, we don’t learn backwards medicine in a grass hut on the beach LOL (I wish it was on the beach) We use the same books and have the same classes and take the USLME and pass just as US grads, most of us do our 3rd and 4th years in US hospitals. But there are a number of people who go to the Caribbean schools and are not successful unlike in the US were just about everyone is successful. Thats the difference.

Getting back to DO, isn’t there some nutritional and physical type of training done that is a little different from Allopathic schools?

I’m going to KCUMB (DO school) this fall and I have never heard of anything different nutritional wise. As far as physical–just learning to diagnose more musculoskeletal issues with palpation and learning the techniques (much like physical therapy with some chiropractic-type techniques)is all that I know. Otherwise, just like allopathic medicine according to my academic calender and course descriptions.