Dating for NonTrads?

How are NonTrads in med school & residency are finding the dating possibilities? For Pete’s sake, during my PB I was older than some instructors (41 now, applying this year). Comments?

Just rob the cradle!

Don’t know what to say, i’ve been married almost 15 years, so that won’t be something to think about! (?)
Kathy

I’d say, consider the other venues in your life as places to meet potential dates rather than class. And if you have no other venues in your life, you need to get some, even if you ARE going to school full time, working 80 hrs a week, etc. etc. etc. Best place to find a compatible person in my mind is in activities that you enjoy. Trite, I know, and who am I to give advice on this??? I’ll shut up now.
Mary, married, ummmmm (doing the math in my head) 28 years

In my 2.5 years of medical school, I have taken both Mary and Dave’s advice at different times. (Not really. Unless a 7 year age difference count as cradle robbing when you’re 35? I hope not…)
I am now in a relationship I’m very happy about.
Dating is certainly possible, even desirable. People make it work. The older you are the more likely it is that you will need to find someone outside your class. This is probably a good thing. It can be a frustrating thing. It is an argument for going to med school somewhere you have social circles; alternately, an argument for making sure you get involved, get out, see stuff and meet people outside of med school. Which is what you wanted to do anyway.
Good luck!
joe

Joe,
I really enjoyed your first answer!
Thanks for that…
Jill (also 41)

I agree with Joe, you’ll need to look outside your class in med school. ALL the over-30 students in my class (>130 people) are in long-term relationships and most are married. Unless you want to go out with a 22-year-old, you will need to build a life outside med school.

How ironic!? Whilst viewing this thread (sssshhhhhh…at work) a pop-ad popped up for a dating service. According to this ad, with a fist full of $$, there should be no problem finding “dates”…of course, they may be off the ‘long-term, overnight’ variety???

I suppose you could always date the instructors…??? (assuming you weren’t in their class?)

Try on line dating. It’s the ONLY way to go for a VERY busy person as far as I’m concerned. Plus you can do a background check while you’re IMing the person you just met!

<>
Like drinking!
Sorry, that was juvenile

LMAO!! Cheers to Matt!
Kathy

The only prblem with dating on line even with a background check. With my luck I’d meet a serial killer with good credit!!!

Quote:

The only prblem with dating on line even with a background check. With my luck I’d meet a serial killer with good credit!!!

Come to Minnesota. Everyone around here is so upstanding it’s annoying. I have actually been invited on dates where the main event centers around a big trip to Home Depot.

What does one shop for on a date to Home Depot? A date like that seems to early for housewares, and hammers just don’t seem appropriate.
"Would you like to, um… maybe… shop for molly bolts with me sometime?"
Erica

"Would you like to, um… maybe… shop for molly bolts with me sometime?"
Just remember, no matter how bad a date sounds, there’s always room for it to get worse.

Quote:

“Would you like to, um… maybe… shop for molly bolts with me sometime?”

Well, no, in this particular case I think we went shopping for gaskets or some other plumbing paraphenalia. And actually I don’t think it was Home Depot but Menards. My point is just that “practical” way outweighs “interesting” in the Twin Cities way of life. It is not for nothing that we are the minivan capital of the world.

If it were a health food co-op with nice bulk bins, I’d be all over it! I am not opposed to practical dates.

Quote:

Try on line dating. It’s the ONLY way to go for a VERY busy person as far as I’m concerned

Moderators: I sense the need for OPM Dating Services!!

I myself have considered Eharmony…I am not really desperate but gosh I’ve got to get my Mom to shut up about me “getting some” (getting some grandkids for HER that is!!)

I dug up this thread just so I could say that I think there should be a ban on people trying to date and apply to medical school at the same time. Think of all those poor telephones and email boxes, doing double time at their job of being absolutely silent all the time.

This isn’t my personal situation, exactly, but I’m just saying… From prior experience with the singles scene, and now knowing the applicant scene, I’m pretty sure this is probably more than our telecommunications system can handle.