DC-MD-VA...heck even WV

New here…have plans to apply to medical school…just not sure on the “tempo” of courses I should take. I work full-time at a research center and my schedule is slightly flexible. Which means if a class is during the day I would have to make up the time. What I’d like is information specifically for my area. I have plans to take my pre-reqs at Univ of MD with their “science in the evening” program, starting in the Fall. I have 2 courses till I finish my undergrad…seems everytime I speak to the counselor I have more to do.
Any recommendations on what to take when, how many…things along those lines. I have tons of ideas but figured why reinvent the wheel…
1 option:
Fall 2004 Chem1
Spring 2005 Chem2
Summer Bio1
Fall Bio2
Spring 2006 Phy1
Summer Phy2
Fall Org1
Spring 2007 Org 2
April MCAT???
Another option starting at Montgomery Community
Summer 2004 Chem 1 & 2
Fall Bio 1 & Org 1
Spring 2005 Bio 2 & Org 2
Summer Phy1 & Phy 2
August MCAT…?
Decisions, reality, wishful thinking, dreaming…

I’m not sure where you live (I’m assuming you work at NIH and live by DC). But if I’m wrong and you live closer to Baltimore, Towson Univ has classes in the eveing where you could take two classes per semester. You would have to work hard since you would possibly be in class 4 nights per week, but definitely doable if your willing to study hard on the weekends.
I would hesitate from taking pre-reqs at a community college if you can get them at a 4 year school. Med schools just look at them better from a 4 year school.
Taking pre-reqs at a slightly slower pace is okay. It’s only one year in this endeavor. And while that may seem like a long time, it’s not. You will read many places on this board that this process is a marathon, not a sprint, and that it is better to take your time and get good grades than to rush through and getter lesser grades.
Hope this helps,
Tara

I work at the Navy’s medical research center and I live waaaay out, close to Hagerstown, 65 mile commute one-way.
I appreciate the reply. I can only see a few choices, either 2 classes per semester or 1? Either take classes during the summer or ??? Has anyone else taken 2 classes per semester? Not questioning if it’s possible just like to hear from those who have crossed the burning sands of evening college. No offense to those that were able to quit their jobs and go to school fulltime but that isn’t an option for my wife & I.
I’ll continue searching for more answers in the archives. Till then…

I am taking two but not working…

I think most people take 4-5 classes per semester. Now these are the people that aren’t working so you should be able to handle 2 easily and work at the same time. That is of course if you can get 2 classes scheduled at night when you need them.
I would also suggest you do NOT take prerequs at a community college.

That seems to be the standard line about school. Taking into account that classes are from 6-9 or 10pm and I have a 1 hour drive home. I would be in school 4 nights a week and then there is also volunteering, shadowing and the like. I spent 10 years in the Navy as a corpsman but figure that this isn’t going to show the admissions board my committment if I haven’t been in a clinical setting for years. I could be off base here.
My thought is taking a class every semester and shadowing a bunch of different MD’s and DO’s. Right now I think ~8 hours a week, maybe 4 with the 8 hours of EMT volunteer work. It would probably look something like this:
Fall PH203
Spring PH204
Summer BI101
Fall BI102
Spring CH101
Summer CH102
Fall ORGO1
Spring ORGO2
I would be entering school at the age of 37…basically 5 years from now! I’m not sure about any of this but am still searching…

Welcome aboard!
Rest assured that at 37 you’re still a spring chicken! I’m 40 and still knocking off my prereqs. I’d start with one class at a time and see what happens. There’s a lot of variation in how much YOU have to study for a given class, how long your commute is, what your other responsibilities are, etc. Lab courses take a big bite out of your time, just because you’re running around in a lab for an extra three hours a week. I like your revised plan of taking gen chem and o-chem back to back. There’s not a LOT of overlap, but if acid-base chemistry is fresh in your mind, o-chem will be a bit easier.
I suspect that a bit of SOME kind of volunteer work is important, but you don’t have to demonstrate quite as much that you know what you’re getting into, which is part of the point of clinical volunteering. Shadow and volunteer to the degree you find it fulfilling and informative, but don’t make yourself nuts.
It’s a long road; enjoy the journey as much as you can!

Spring chicken! I do love chicken…not sure what the season has to do with it? It’s funny how what you consider as “old” is different the older you become. I had a 26 year old MD or PA applicant (depends on who accepts her) tell me that she can’t see how someone as old as 36 would ever dream of medical school…Ahh to be dumb, I mean young I pushing 32 this year…life as I know it is over…

I would start off slow specially if you are working FT and the long commute. You do not want to rush in and then realize that these classes take a lot of your time and end up with a soso grade. So even if it takes one more year so be it, you are already a non-trad and they will be looking closely at your grades. Also be super super careful with the summer classes they go at the speed of light and many folks end up crashing and burning…Good luck.

I agree. Lab sciences are very time consuming. Double up on the easy courses, but for those try to space them out.
I’ve done 2 at a time over the past year and it really wore me down, and I wasn’t working a job. If I had been working there would be no way I could have done it.

I agree with the others-- with that type of schedule I would take it slow. One class per semester is not bad considering the other things you are juggling, and I do believe that admissions committees do take that into consideration. You will be similarly (maybe even more) challenged with a full time job and one class plus lab than others who go to school full time.
By the way, I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this but you can definitely take the MCAT in your last spring semester while finishing your last class.
Good luck,
Tara

Hey,
I just started UM’s Science in the Evening program this Spring, and so far, it’s great. I also work full time about 45 hours a week. I am taking Chem I now, and I don’t find it too difficult so far. The small class size is really helpful, and the camraderie among the class seems fairly amiable and noncompetitive.
I am taking Chem II over the summer, then I am going to attempt to double up on Organic and Bio in the Fall. I feel like I could easily handle a second class this semester, so I am worried but not too worried about the fall.
I highly recommend the UM evening program. My chief complaint about it is that they make DC residents pay out-of-state tuition, which I find outrageous. I’ve worked in Bethesda for several years, and this doesn’t seem to differentiate me from anyone else who moves into the area from across the country.
But, outside of the tuition costs (which is still comprable to a private school even with out-of-state fees), I really like it so far.
Good luck.

Thanks Chad! Glad to hear about the classes. There are quite a number of guys/gals taking their pre-req courses at the community college and if you fall down it’s over for you. Half-explanations, lies, deceit…from “future MD’s”???
Heck I see why some nurses are treated the way they are because many of the ones in the class I’m taking now simply copy off each other. They get the answers from someone and pass that info on. They are also the ones asking the most basic of questions of which were covered in pre-req class. A bit frustrating but I’ll be done with this and off to the “greener pastures” of UMD.

Well, I hope your experience is as good as mine has been so far at UMD. Like everything, it may just depend on the class environment. Luckily, the people in my Ghem class seem to be mutually supportive. The best part, though, is the small class size. My class has only about 16 people, and my discussion section and lab section only has about 8 people so the teaching is very personalized and well worth the money.

Class will cost me twice than the community college. However for the size of the classes and the fact that it is a university I agree and think it’s worth it. Maybe I’ll meet you at the university.
Thanks to everyone for the help and direction. I’ve decided to pursue medical school and the “it’s a marathon…” is my mantra. Thanks again!