Dealing with Moving for a 1-year post-bacc

I’m doing a one-year post-bacc in another state. I really don’t want to lug all my furniture (bed, etc.) all the way over and pay moving expenses (even if I did the U-Haul way), etc., just to move again within one year. It’s really not financial feasible or emotionally healthy. I HATE moving and I rather minimize the headache. However, I don’t want to buy new furniture (due to $$$ concerns) and again, I don’t want to have to worry about moving it again in a year. Plus, I really do not need another set of furniture(as it is I already have 2 beds, a living room, bedroom set, in my parents garage in FL). Buying and selling furniture is a huge waste of money (furniture depreciates faster than a car (unless it’s an antique). I really would like to get in and get out…no worries about furniture, but I do need a bed. How did you all deal with this(if you did your post-bacc away that is)?

Hi - I haven’t done it myself but I’d probably stick all of my stuff in a storage facility for a year or sell it all and move on campus for that year…or just live without furniture for a year in whatever apt I’m moving into. Some of the cheap air mattresses are surprisingly comfortable lol. Heck I’ve lived in the same place for 7 years now and only managed to get a bed…it’s not bad for me since I end up moving to the floor to sit or study even if I am at a house with furniture lol.
Good luck!
–Jessica, UCCS

You could look to see if you can find a furnished apartment. Keep in mind, some furnished apartments are corporate rentals which mean they charge an exorbitant amount of money because they are geared towards short-term (1-3 month) rentals and often include housekeeping and other amenities. However, sometimes you can find places that are being rented and for whatever reason the owner wants to leave the furniture. Also, I’m not sure if this is an option near Bryn Mawr, but if there are seasonal cottages in the area, sometimes you can rent them during the off season for a fairly reasonable amount.

What if you sublet your own home furnished? If your lease allows it, it might be a good way to go. THere are risks, but it might work for you.

"How did you all deal with this(if you did your post-bacc away that is)"
Well, since you asked…
I moved from New York City to Minneapolis early on in my post-bacc life, mainly to save money. In New York, I lived in one of those cramped studios where I had one piece of furniture, and felt quite lucky and possessive about it. That was of course a futon. When I moved, I threw it out! I also sold a lot of my books and tossed out a heap of pseudo-furniture from Ikea, which I’ve never missed. The nice thing about Ikea is that there’s one in most major cities, so you can easily refurnish when you get to your new destination and not feel like you’re making a big investment. Of course, you can’t complain about having a bookshelf named “Per” and a bed named “Grette” either.
I didn’t buy many new things when I got to Mpls. I just borrowed from friends and relatives, and I live with roommates, who contribute stuff. Last year I bought a bed, though. Oh, and I have a nice desk–no student can get by without that.
I definitely recommend travelling light and getting affordable new stuff when you move. On the other hand, if it’s just the bed you’re worried about, then maybe you should rent one of those small U-Hauls, move the bed and other necessities, and sell the remaining furniture you have now? One piece of furniture isn’t so bad to move–it’s when you’re dealing with a whole household.
Good luck!