Did anyone apply to the Caribbean schools?

Hi just the token Caribbean student here LOL.

I was wondering, any one apply to the Caribbean schools this past year?

The application cycle is different, it is Rolling admissions, SO you can apply to go 2 to 3 times a year and start

Sept and Jan for SGU

Sept, Jan, May for AUC, ROSS and SABA.

Those who did not get in anywhere in the US can apply to go to one of these for May or Sept 2008.

You can practice in all 50 states but…

Residency match rates reported by NRMP is 50%

But there are matches (PGY 1 ) that are not tracked by the NRMP I know of many, 2 this past year and 2 this coming year ( Friends) So I believe ( no hard proof) that the match rate is more in the 60 to 70% range ( so 30 to 40% still may not match the first time in PGY 1)

( I know there are many that do not believe the Caribbean is a good route, due to Advisors knowing little about the Caribbean and FMG, the schools not telling the whole truth and premeds spreading information that is not correct many times I have researched this to death since I have borrowed thousands to attend medical school)

I think some of the Carib schools have some innovative practices–rolling admissions, can start school in January–it would be nice if the mainland medical colleges were this flexible.

Yes that is nice

But the biggest drawback I have found to be true

is the 30 to 40% who may not get a PGY 1 residency the first year

US grads match at 99 to 100%

Other than that risk it has worked out so far.

So Bill, what is the best way to succeed if you go this route?

Kris

The best way is to go to a decent Caribbean school, One of the Big 4, SGU, AUC, ROSS or SABA

study really hard for the USMLE, get better then 220 and you you should be in the running fo a lot of residencies, But know Residencies like Surgery will be much much harder to get, I know of only a very few after 3 years of following what happens. I would say if like me and want a primary care then you will be happy, the more competitive residencies are harder just not impossible. Caribbean Students wanting a competitive Residency should shoot for higher then 230 this may give you a shot.

A friend of mine is attending Ross University (his first year). He says its absolutely intense there. Any truth to that their students are given a larger workload than allopathic and osteopathic med students within the continental US?

No the work load is the same but with a 3 semester year we have a shorter time to study and take the tests. SO it seems more intense, I think the truth is Medical school is intense!

I’ve heard tell that Caribbean schools are less supportive, as well. If you’re struggling at an American school, you get more support, whereas you’re more “on your own” elsewhere.

Do you see any truth to that, DRFP?

• pi1304 Said:
I've heard tell that Caribbean schools are less supportive, as well. If you're struggling at an American school, you get more support, whereas you're more "on your own" elsewhere.

Do you see any truth to that, DRFP?

Yes this is true.

Caribbean schools are private businesses and are not in the USA so they do not worry as much about the drop out rate, coupled with the reality that they admit good students and marginal students,students who do not meet the standards for admission in the US system. With this in mind there is a feeling if it is a little harder then the ones who truly can become Doctors will, the ones who cannot were given a chance, for some people this is fine, but a lot of complaining happens because some students do not accept that if you go out side the US and get accepted this does not guarantee success, no one can do that not even the US schools.

It is up to the student to study hard and know the material and seek help when needed, the school does not counsel a student until they are doing very badly.