DIGITAL VOICE RECORDERS - BESTVOICE RECOGNITION

Hi there folks:
Happy new year all, since I’ve been AWOL for a while. I am in search of the best Digital Voice Recorder for finishing up my pre-med studies, etc…
I’m interested in one that has good quality and lots of recording time.
One that will work with any standard earphone jack is a plus too, since I understand some don’t, and I can’t always use the headphones included with products I buy…
Of particular interest is one that will work with voice recogntion software, although I’ve yet to find a voice recognition software package that isn’t frightfully expensive, so advice about that is also very welcome. Needless to say, the unit must work with a computer, preferably both Mac and PC, but PC is a must.
I’ve looked at several Olympus models and I’m leaning toward a couple DM 20 and DS 2 which both seem to have adequate recording quality but are not cheap and are limited in the recording time area. There’s also a WS-320M (and 310M and 300M) which are new which haven’t had such good reviews, but have enormous capacity by comparison.
I’m open to other choices.
My only absolute stipulation is that I’m not going much over $200. Less is better, but we get what we pay for, so right now I’m all ears if anyone can help I’ll be sooooooooo grateful.
Thanks in advance. You guys always come thru with the great advice :slight_smile:
Leah

I’m not sure what you’re looking for when you ask for a voice recorder that works with voice recognition software, but…I use the Olympus VN-480PC, which has three different record qualities which allow from just under 4 hours on the highest quality to over 8 hours on the lowest quality…has three different “folders” so that you can separate different classes…comes with software for your pc so that you can download onto your computer…comes with usb cable, ear-bud and mic…works with two AAA batteries (that last a long time)…several other features. I paid about $80 for it at Radio Shack and have been very happy with it.
http://www.olympusvoice.com.au/products/digital/notetakers/vn480pc.html

If you have an iPod there is an accessory you can buy that allows you to record and download your recordings to your computer. I don’t have one, but a friend does - I guess you could check Best Buy, etc. if you are interested in that.

I’m looking for something in between flat out professional quality digital recorders, which go for 400+, and the lightweight, low capacity recorders which won’t work with voice recognition software . Anything that doesn’t fluently work with a PC for downloading is out. I understand that the VN 960pc, which is the big brother of the VN-480PC won’t work with lots of software.
…from the instruction manual. “USB support is NOT available under the following environments, even for PCs equipped with a USB port: Windows 98/2000/xp professional, Home Edition upgraded from Windows 95” (from an amazon.com review)
It also has a lower capacity than I’d like. The minimum capacity at highest quality that I’d like to have is 8-10 hours.

Thanks again.
Leah

Quote:

…from the instruction manual. “USB support is NOT available under the following environments, even for PCs equipped with a USB port: Windows 98/2000/xp professional, Home Edition upgraded from Windows 95” (from an amazon.com review)

You have to have a VERY old computer to be upgraded from Windows 95 to XP. And, I highly doubt that the computer would have the actual hardware performance to run XP in the first place. As long as you haven’t “upgraded” your OS from Win95 to XP you will be fine.

Quote:

It also has a lower capacity than I’d like. The minimum capacity at highest quality that I’d like to have is 8-10 hours.

I’ve been looking for one of these as well and NewEgg.com seems to have some pretty good deals.
Here’s one for $93 shipped http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16873100516
It has over 8 hours at HQ recording.
Hell, I think I just might buy this one myself!