I am currently VA resident hoping to change my state residency to NY by the time I apply to med school next year. My parents live in VA and my sister is moving to NYC soon and we are going to share apartment financially but I will be only staying there in NY 4-5 nights a month. The reason I want to change my state residency is that most of my first choice medical schools are in NY (especially NYCOM) and I will not apply to any medical school in VA. If I am not physically being there living the whole time in NY because of full-time work in VA, I was wondering how admission would look upon this matter. Does this show that I am cunning, sneaky, selfish (ok I am not that mean person), cool, stupid, or weird …etc if I get my NY state residency LEGALLY to make a bit easier to get into NY state medical school, though, I work almost full-time in VA and part-time in NY for a year? Do admission committes care how I got my NY state residency if there is no sign or proof of my work experience in NY except private tutoring but many proof that shows most of work being done in VA? I would appreciate any good piece of advice!

Hi there,
Where you pay your State taxes will be your state of residence. New York probably doesn't care how many hours you spend in the state if you pay your taxes, change your drivers license, professional license and pay the fees, and pay any local taxes. If you car is registered and your state taxes go to New York, you are a New York resident even if you spend two nights a week in New York.
Many people have changed residency for medical school. Though most people go to Texas, (easier to get into the Texas schools for state residents), I am sure the people have done the same for New York. When I lived on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, I kept my car registered in Virginia and kept my Virginia license. I ended up paying the city of Washington, DC some extra money for a parking permit but my insurance did not go through the roof and I was still considered a resident of Virginia.

I don't know about New York schools, but I do know that Virginia schools require that you reference your STATE TAX RETURN in order to show that you are a resident. Being a registered voter, having a driver's license, etc. isn't enough. You don't have to actually send a copy of the return but you have to verify that you have filed.
I believe that Texas requires that you WORK full-time in the state for a year in order to establish residency for school purposes.
Do NOT make this change without finding out more about the requirements for establishing residency. Residency for school purposes is not the same as residency for legal purposes.

It might be a good idea to check with each school to see what their policy is regarding residency. As other posters have pointed out, there is a tremendous amount of variation from state to state and even amongst schools within a state depending on whether they are public, private, or semi-public (private school receiving state support). Private schools might not even care where you declare residency.

Thanks… I found the NYS residency requirements from CUNY website. I doubt NYIT (or NYCOM) has different guidelines.
In accordance with C.U.N.Y. guidelines the following documents are required in order to prove or to establish New York State residency:
Your parent’s and /or your 1999 Federal and N.Y.S. income tax return with W-2 form(s). All tax returns must be signed. In addition, bring parent’s or your apartment lease with dates covering all of 1999 & 2000. If you just renewed your lease make sure to bring the old one as well. Mortgage contract or deed is acceptable.
One document from above, and in addition, please provide any two of the following: *
a) N.Y.S. driver’s license or non-driver ID.
cool.gif Automobile insurance and /or registration.
c) Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy.
d) Bank statements and /or utility bills: electric, gas, telephone, credit card, and /or cable covering 12 months. Example: one bill from October 1999 & one current bill for November 2000, gives us the 12 months.
e) Voter registration card. The Board of Election prints out voter registration certificate.
f) Employer’s statement on company letterhead verifying dates of employment and home address.
g) Budget letter from N.Y.S. Department of Social Services or from the Social Security Administration.
h) Selective service registration form or card and/or armed forces identification card DD form 2A(green).
* Please note that all the above documents must cover the 12 month period prior to classes beginning on January 27, 2001. Additional documents may be requested by the Office of Admissions. If you are under the age of 24, you must submit parent’s tax returns.