distance learning/on-line post bacc at UNECOM?

Hi. My name’s Dave. I’m 36 years old, did my undergrad in biochem and graduated in '95 with a 3.0 GPA. I’ve begun working toward the goal of attending medical school. Recently I wrestled with the question of pursuing a formal post-bacc vs. preparing myself for the MCAT. I decided that I like the structure and self-evaluation of a program, but I want to keep my job. Enter UNECOM in Biddeford, Maine. They are offering a distance learning, on-line post-bacc sequence that covers gen. chem., orgo, and first semester. My question for the group: is this too good to be true? Will schools look down their nose at distance learning (presumablely UNE won’t, but what of the others)? Does anyone here have experience with this program or others like it? Any imput would be deeply appreciated. Hi. My name’s Dave. I’m 36 years old, did my undergrad in biochem and graduated in '95 with a 3.0 GPA. I’ve begun working toward the goal of attending medical school. Recently I wrestled with the question of pursuing a formal post-bacc vs. preparing myself for the MCAT. I decided that I like the structure and self-evaluation of a program, but I want to keep my job. Enter UNECOM in Biddeford, Maine. They are offering a distance learning, on-line post-bacc sequence that covers gen. chem., orgo, and first semester. My question for the group: is this too good to be true? Will schools look down their nose at distance learning (presumablely UNE won’t, but what of the others)? Does anyone here have experience with this program or others like it? Any imput would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

I think most in academia understand that online education can be top quality and demands superior discipline to succeed. I earned my BS from George Washington via Distance Education before doing my post-bacc in the classroom, and it didn’t seem to present any barrier for me.

Search this site and you will find many humble opinions that formal post-bacc programs are basically on par with self-designed or informal programs. I would respectfully suggest that your GPA could use a little improvement. So, whatever program you choose, aim to demonstrate that you can do well in advanced science courses.

An aside, I worked as a paramedic for 14 years, and I always wanted to get into transplant coordination. Unfortunately, the nursing profession took over the organ sharing network in my region several years ago and shut out other healthcare providers. It ultimately worked out in my favor, since I get to study what I really wanted all along. I just wish more interested medics could get a chance to work in this field as I suspect the personality and education of EMS providers is ideal for the job.

I’m presently taking Gen Chem I through UNECOM’s distance learning. It’s a very rigorous course and requires a great deal of self-discipline. I’ve taken a lot of online college courses and I’m finding this one to be, by far, the most difficult one. I think the course would most likely be much easier for me in the traditional classroom setting, but none of the colleges where I live (other than community colleges) offer General Chemistry in the evening, after work. Essentially I am teaching myself General Chemistry. The professor is available via phone and email, so, of course, you can’t get immediate answers to any questions you might have.

Hope this helps!

If you do well, it might work in your favor in thsoe med schools that have either an independent learning system (I know that LECOM-E offers this) or a problem-based learning system. It will show adcoms that you are able to handle independent study, but aain, you need to do well or it can backfire on all fronts.

I did a bit of distance ed prior to med school and it worked out ok.

I would certainly consider UNECOM’s program and would consider them for medschool as well. The distance ed program there is new since I was there, but overall I think it’s an excellent Med school providing you agree with the osteopathic approach.

Besides if you get in there after doing their distance ed program you can come to NH to do rotations with me 3rd year. and if THAT does not discourage you… bwAAAhahahahah