Do I need a bachelor's degree?

I got my bachelor’s degree from another country, but I got a master’s degree from the U.S. I also took all my prerequisites from the U.S. colleges and universities. Is it really necessary to obtain another bachelor’s degree here.? I noticed that some med schools require a bachelor’s degree, so I’m wondering whether I need to get a second bachelor’s degree.

I would directly call the schools that you plan on applying to see what their requirements are on international bachelors degrees.

Hello, Ray07! First, I second rachelsooy’s advice to directly call/contact the schools that interest you and ask. Just reviewing a few schools via the MSAR, most seem to require a U.S., Canadian, and (sometimes) a U.K. accredited college or university. Some schools are not explicit in the origin of the degree, but rather just specify that you need at least 90 credit hours from an accredited institution in the US or Canada.

Here are a few examples of medical schools’ policies (you can find most of these policies stated online):

University of Virginia: “All applicants must have completed at least 90 semester hours of course work in a U.S. Canadian or United Kingdom accredited college or university.”

Eastern Virginia Medical School: “Applicants must have . . . a minimum of 100 semester hours, including the below required prerequisite courses, at an accredited university in the United States or Canada.”

Indiana University: “MD applicants must have completed ninety (90) credit hours from an accredited U.S. or Canadian institution of higher education…”

University of Washington: “Undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, graduate-level and online required courses must be completed at a regionally accredited college, university or community college. The University of Washington School of Medicine does not have a preference for where applicants receive their degree(s) or where they complete their premedical coursework…”

New York Medical College: “It is strongly recommended applicants successfully complete undergraduate college work leading to a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college of arts and sciences in the United States or Canada. However, all courses offered in satisfaction of the pre-medical course requirements for admission must have been taken or be in progress at, or accepted as transfer credits by, an accredited college in the United States or Canada, and must be acceptable to that institution toward a baccalaureate degree in arts or sciences…”

I hope this helps get the exploration/clarification to your questions.

Good luck, friend!