Do I need to take GRE with strong (but old) ACT scores?

I’m applying to post-bac career changer pre-med programs. Back in 2010, as a high school junior, I got a 33 on the ACT. This score could suffice for the pre-med programs I’m applying to. However, the weakest area of that ACT was math, with a 29.

My question is: would that 29 on the math section be relatively unimpressive to these programs?

I’m considering signing up for the GRE. I’ve been tutoring the SAT and ACT for the past year, and my math skills are as strong as they’ve ever been, so I believe that I could do better on the GRE Math section vs. on my old ACT math section. On the other hand, it would take significant time to study for the GRE…

Thoughts? Thank you.

I guess the answer to this depends on a few more factors, such as -

• What do the majority of programs you’re applying to prefer? Anecdotally, I know my career-changer program outright required the GRE, with a >50th %-ile score to be considered. However, that isn’t the case for all PBPM programs. Where it isn’t required, is it preferred? Have most matriculants taken the exam?

• How did you perform in undergrad? It’s reasonable to assume good undergraduate academic performance would outweigh a missing recent standardized test, if its only a preference for the PBPM program.

• If you believe the GRE could show a very strong score, it seems like it would be to your benefit to study for a couple months and take the exam. A better GRE could mean a PBPM of your choice, potentially with robust linkage arrangements (and thus the time you spend studying for the GRE now would result in getting the glide year back later).

• Will you be attempting to join a fall 2020 cohort? It might be the case that some programs are still considering applicants thanks to COVID. If so, the GRE score report process would continue to delay your application, which would be a negative.

This is just my 2¢ and a little spitballing on what might influence the decision. Good luck on your applications!