DO Match Rates

Hello All,

I am quite interested in applying to allopathic and osteopathic schools, but I just stumbled upon some data I found quite unnerving. The data for the AOA residencies stated that 40% of graduates matched and 46% were considered “non participants”. What is a non participant? Is that number so low because many DOs get into MD residencies? I’m not scared to of medical school, or a house worth of debt, but if I only have a 40% chance of getting a residency as a D.O., I will not be applying osteopathic schools.

Cheers,

Cam

https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2016sklstats.html

I suspect the 46% number are the people who got residencies outside of the match and those that matched in MD residencies.

Doc201X is correct, the 46% is those that went NRMP instead of NMS. Also, the ‘unmatched’ percentage doesn’t distinguish those that went on to match NRMP after not matching NMS. You’ll get a residency as a DO.

@Synchronous wrote:

Doc201X is correct, the 46% is those that went NRMP instead of NMS. Also, the ‘unmatched’ percentage doesn’t distinguish those that went on to match NRMP after not matching NMS. You’ll get a residency as a DO.

I agree that you shouldn’t worry too much. I am on the interview trail for Radiology, I have met several DO and even Caribbean applicants. Granted those were not the most prestigious programs, but they are respectable ones, and I would say some are quite strong.

Also, DO tend to apply more to primary care specialties, in which they seem to be doing very well.

I still think that as an MD it may be easier to match, particularly to competitive specialties. But as a DO, I don’t anticipate you would have issues matching in most specialties (again unless you want to be going to a top tier program or stay in one particular region/city).

With the merger between ACGME and the AOA and now all residencies being ACGME, it will not matter if you are an MD or DO. That is usually the older programs and those with the old guard.

There is more than enough work out there, and one person’s “good doctor” or “strong performer” is another’s brown-noser and back stabber. So all schools or school types have representative bodies in them, and compared to the ole white guys of the past it is by far too diverse to even know what skills are passed on.

Want to be doctors and doctors are quite disingenuous when evaluating each other, and lack objective criteria. Therefore, I would suspect the health administrators sensed this by now and try different things to manage or manipulate people.

Either way, I would suggest that all who seek residencies will get one. I also suspect that a lot of people do Surgery electives, but will not get a 1st year residency. Also, may not get it 2nd year. By 3rd year of accrued interest rates, their interest in surgery may taper off with zeal. If you have a clinic to semi-volunteer at while you wait to get there, it may be a good time to think and contemplate.