DO or MD?

I am starting my prereqs at a local CC and I have been reading books on getting into med shool. I live in Arizona and we have one med school and one do school. What is different about the two schools, and is a MD considered better?
Thanks scwimmer

QUOTE (scwimmer @ Aug 22 2003, 02:29 PM)
I am starting my prereqs at a local CC and I have been reading books on getting into med shool. I live in Arizona and we have one med school and one do school. What is different about the two schools, and is a MD considered better?
Thanks scwimmer

Hi there,
The answer to this question depends on you. If you plan to practice outside the United States, having a DO might cause some problems expecially in places like the UK. Other than that, there is virtually no difference between DO and MD in the United States except the letters. MD graduates are not eligible for DO (osteopathic) residencies but the converse is not true. DO graduates are eligible for MD (allopathic)residencies.
While the number of osteopathic medical schools (schools granting the DO degree) is growing at a rapid pace but the vast majority of physicians in this country hold the MD degree. Some archiac allopathic residency directors will boast about not taking DO grads in thier programs but stay far away from these. I have a colleague at UVa who is a DO and practices far above my level. He is a great physician and does nothing different than the rest of us who have the MD.
Many DO grads have chosen primary care specialiaties but this is not because of the DO but more because of the interests of the folks upon graduation. You are also going to hear many folks say that DO is not as good as MD because people who get into DO school can't get into allopathic medical school. This is not true either.
DO students take COMLEX exams and MD students take USMLE exams. DO grads may also take USMLE if they wish to apply to allopathic residencies.
In 2003, there are little differences in the quality of instruction, curriculum or opportunities for graduates of osteopathic (DO) medical schools and allopathic (MD) medical schools other than the initials behind your name on your badge. Had there been an osteopathic medical school in Virginia when I was applying, I would have applied there too.

Natalie cool.gif

Thank you very much for explaining that for me. I am planning to put my application in for Midwestern University after I finish my undergraduate.
thanks
stefan