Doctors and smoking

Just curious, for you doctors out there, how many of you smoke at all? If so, is it casual, or heavy smoking? I’m just curious, and I’m sure the more stress that is put upon someone, the more likely they are to indulge. I’ve seen doctors and nurses who smoke, I’m just curious if it’s the exception, or the rule. I’m currently trying to quit, but I’m wondering if I’ll get sucked back in once I’m a doctor, due to the high stress demands that will be present. Do you sometimes use it as a stress reliever, or do you find other ways to calm yourself? Any ex-smokers who have struggled with this?
Thanks

Thanks for the advice Dave. I’m even more driven to quit being that I am an asthmatic myself.

In the meantime, Zan, get a flu shot! (hey I’m going to be a primary care doc, I gotta say these things) Seriously, your asthma and your smoking really put you in a high-risk group, so if you haven’t already done so, please seek out that flu shot and get it pronto. (and if you go to your doctor’s office to get your flu shot, ask how they can help you when you’re ready to quit.)
Good luck to you, Zan.

Quote:

Just curious, for you doctors out there, how many of you smoke at all? If so, is it casual, or heavy smoking? I’m just curious, and I’m sure the more stress that is put upon someone, the more likely they are to indulge. I’ve seen doctors and nurses who smoke, I’m just curious if it’s the exception, or the rule. I’m currently trying to quit, but I’m wondering if I’ll get sucked back in once I’m a doctor, due to the high stress demands that will be present. Do you sometimes use it as a stress reliever, or do you find other ways to calm yourself? Any ex-smokers who have struggled with this?
Thanks

Hi there,
I have never smoked cigarettes but I do enjoy a Cohiba with a very dry martini about once or twice a year. None of my colleagues in surgery smoke and none of the physicians here at UVA smoke. There are plenty of nurses and allied health folks who smoke in little groups around the outside of the garage entrance (the only place that smoking is allowed at UVa Hospital). We used to have a patio that folks would use as a smoking area but no more. The housestaff swatted that one last year. It still smells a bit but one can enjoy a breath of fresh air during the day or night.
Smoking is bad for you. Smoking is very, very bad for you. After almost four months on vascular surgery I can honestly tell you that you can get rid of the cigarettes now or I can take you toes, foot, and legs off later. Almost all of my Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm patients and Lung Cancer patients are ex heavy smokers. I just finished taking care of two single lung transplant patients (both lungs from the same donor). Both patients had end-stage COPD (Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease) from smoking. End of speech.
Glad to see that you are quitting this bad habit. Your health will be so much better. I repeat, NONE of the physicians (resident or attending) here at UVa smoke cigarettes.
Natalie

Natalie,
Where on earth do you get Cohibas? Or are those you smoke non-Cuban? My husband likes his cigar with a glass of tawny port. I just like the port
To the OP, cigarette smoker here. I smoke 1-3 cigs per day, on some days none at all. It depends on mood, stress. I guess I’m a light smoker?

Quote:

Natalie,
Where on earth do you get Cohibas? Or are those you smoke non-Cuban? My husband likes his cigar with a glass of tawny port. I just like the port
To the OP, cigarette smoker here. I smoke 1-3 cigs per day, on some days none at all. It depends on mood, stress. I guess I’m a light smoker?

Hi there,
I can’t discuss where I get my Cohibas but rest assured, they are 100% made in Havana. I first learned to enjoy them on a trip there a couple of years ago. I quickly found out that the Cuban climate produces a tobacco that can be enjoyed with a fine martini (or a port).
One of my favorite stories is that I was sitting in a “watering hole” in Washington, DC, when a very famous patron (can’t mention any names) noticed the familiar fragrance of my Cohiba. (I cut mine in half so I can enjoy the tobacco longer) He approached my table and commented on my fine taste in tobacco enjoyment. I promptly produced the other half of my cigar from my portable humidor. We sat and enjoyed a martini and cigar with a little conversation. Needless to say, I found an “priceless” invitation in my medical school mailbox to a much coveted event. (Can’t mention either because the person is recognizable).
A Cohiba can get you into places that other things can’t
Natalie
About to venture out into the snow for a lovely day of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery consulting.

hey all,
It’s been a week for me so far, and still going strong. (the patches are helping). I know how difficult it is for non smokers to understand the addiction, but needless to say it’s a struggle. I even took a picture of a smoker’s lung(the actual lung) and made it my background on my PC. Every bit of reinforcement helps…
Oh and Natalie, thanks for that story about meeting the person you can’t mention who invited you to the get together you can’t dicuss. I can’t tell you how informative that was
I’ve smoken a cigar on occassion, but they give me headaches- and this is coming from a pack a day smoker. I tried the milder ones with the same result. Very relaxing at first, but not worth the headache (literally).

Zan, good for you! Hang in there and keep up the good work. Sounds like you’ve found things to motivate you - I hope you’ve also got lots of folks around you to encourage you and give you some “attaboys” for doing what is a VERY difficult thing. (and no, I’ve never been a smoker so I don’t know this first hand but I’ve talked to enough people to appreciate that this addiction may be the hardest one to kick of any of 'em.)

Tried the patch, it gave me hideous dreams and made me feel queasy. Way too much nicotine for my body. Zan, do you get the weird dreams too?

NO mini, I haven’t had the bad dreams, although I’ve heard that from several other people who’ve tried the patch. Maybe you should try the game- that way you can control the dosage, and not have to worry about getting too much. Of course I was at over a pack a day, so it wasn’t too much for me.

Quote:

NO mini, I haven’t had the bad dreams, although I’ve heard that from several other people who’ve tried the patch. Maybe you should try the game- that way you can control the dosage, and not have to worry about getting too much. Of course I was at over a pack a day, so it wasn’t too much for me.

I actually meant try the gum… I guess I should have proofread that first;)
UPDATE: Now it’s been 2 weeks of not smoking, and it’s going well.

Zan,
Congratulations on quitting! We just finished our pulmonary domain, and learned that giving up smoking is as hard for a smoker as giving up heroin is to an addict, and harder than for an alcoholic to give up alcohol. I am so impressed with anyone who quits… but based on what I’ve learned so far you are doing the best possible thing you could possibly do for your health. But you knew that… I just wanted to add my congratulations.
Epidoc

Thanks. Some days are difficult, in spite of wearing the patch. But I manage to get over ther rough spots. I would add that though I haven’t experienced BAD dreams, I started having what you could call “vivid” dreams recently. I’ve stopped wearing the patch at night. Plus it’s harder for me to wake up in the morning when I’m wearing one. IE, it makes me lethargic.

My hat is off to you and anyone else who can quit smoking. Good job!
Any good vivid dreams?

Quote:

My hat is off to you and anyone else who can quit smoking. Good job!
Any good vivid dreams?

Nothing I’m going to share here, but interesting nonetheless
4 weeks done now(or is it 3? lost track). Anyhow, still going strong. I cheated once, but hey- no one’s perfect