Does it matter/

Wondering if it will make a difference just taking the pre reqs for med school at a regular college of university vs. completing a Post Baccalaureate Pre Med Program. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I guess I’m think if you satisfy all pre reqs either way then it won’t matter much…

Hi JM

well you can search through the forum as these questions are often discussed.

For one thing, what is your GPA like? The post bacc is usually a good way to make up for some past mistakes and are usually seen as rigorous programs, things that Med Schools like.

If your GPA is already strong, then perhaps a post bacc is not necessary. There is also the issue of time. A post bacc is quite rigorous and usually you pre-reqs are done very fast. If your work, then it might be an issue for you…

Hope this helps.

Thanks redo! I found some info on the forum after I posted, my bad lol. Makes sense however what you typed- my GPA was 3.4 but 3.9 in my major…

although I do not know from personal experience, it depends on where you apply. If your CC credits were from a town where a university equiv was available, then you might get a raised eyebrow. However, if your MCAT is high and your GPA is great…I understand you will likely be considered along with your university educated peers. Be aware,however, if you apply to Wake, or Duke or the like…don’t expect them to give a CC education equal footing.

Hi Doing it Well,

are you in medical school at this time?

you are younger than me, but I wonder if you have any compatriots that are older than you(say 46 or older) and going for the gold?

Hi Goldwasa

No I am not in medical school as of now. I am still working on my pre-reqs.

I don’t know how old you are, but if you dig through the forum, you will see that age is not a factor.

There is nothing wrong with taking the pre-reqs at a university, though. Just plan ahead and make sure you do very well.

in 2009, he oldest matriculating student to osteopathic medical school was 56 years old. OPM is proud to have had several people who graduated medical school in their 50’s!

About CC credits. It seems to matter by school, so the best thing you could do is talk to the admissions people for the school(s) you’re interested in. One here for example, says that they take anything under the state charter for accreditation, which means the local CC as well as the state schools. Another med school might not.

Think also about whether you feel you need the structure of a post-bacc program.

Cheers,

Judy

(recouping exceedingly well from arthroscopic knee surgery two weeks ago.)

• jcolwell Said:
Think also about whether you feel you need the structure of a post-bacc program.

Cheers,

Judy

(recouping exceedingly well from arthroscopic knee surgery two weeks ago.)

Hope you will be biking again soon with the best of them. I had a question from another thread on GPA calculation. How do AMCAS and/or AACOMAS calculate Incompletes? Are they calculated as an F? Inquiring minds want to know