Doing the TA thing

Does TAing a science class make any difference on the applications? It looks like I am going to TA intro to bio next semester.
PS. I feel like my transformation into the most anal person I know is complete as I got an A- in bio II and am torn between being happy and or really annoyed with myself.

sounds like a “leadership experience” winner - developing skills in explaining complex concepts in simpler language - etc. go for it.

QUOTE (Calvin -- in a box by the river @ May 12 2003, 03:50 PM)
Does TAing a science class make any difference on the applications? It looks like I am going to TA intro to bio next semester.

As an undergrad, I was a teaching assistant for comparative vertebrate anatomy and biology II. In grad school, I taught or TAaed: Biology I and II labs and lectures, as well as Comparative Anatomy and Population Biology (Biology III). For me, being a TA required a lot more time than it appeared on the surface. While TAing is a fabulous opportunity, I would suggest you have a clear idea of what is expected of you.
One thing the TA position may give you is a strong candidate for writing a letter of recommendation. The professor for whom you TA will probably get to know you well. More than how it appears on you AMCAS - that letter of recommendation will be what you want from a TAing experience.
I can also tell you that beyond what TAing has done for my CV or AMCAS is what it’s given me in self-confidence, leadership skills (as Lisa mentioned), and a very thorough understanding of the science. In being a TA, I developed a sense of responsibility about myself, for my knowledge, for the way I convey information and interact with students. I condensed all of my teaching assistant positions to one experience on my AMCAS. However that one tiny section does not adequately communicate how momentous my TA experiences have been.
I say go for it, but make sure you know what you’re being asked to do. Being a teaching assistant can become a major time suck. Congrats and good luck!
- - Rachel

Thanks. I want to do it because I really liked the class and the professor. I think he is already going to give me a LOR but this can only make that stronger!
This week has been way better than last.

I definately think being a TA will help you! I posted more on this on another thread (accidentally) so I won't repeat it here. Good luck!
Love,
Stacy

Apart from being a whole lot of fun, teaching really helps me master the material.

QUOTE (Calvin -- in a box by the river @ May 12 2003, 03:50 PM)

I was a TA for non-majors bio and political science courses; the bio led to lab position and an outstanding LOR that helped me immensely when I applied (and was subsequently accepted ) to PA school 20 years ago. It certainly wasn't my grades that got me in. TA also could be noted for leadership, teaching, as well as working extra hard simply for the reward of assisting others. Worth a possible mention in a personal statement.

If you’re leaning towards doing the TA-thing, do it!
I tutored both gen bio and chem for a year at the campus tutoring center, plus ran a chemistry review session. Because it was a new prof and we were using a different textbook than when I had the course, the prep time was considerable. But fine and I enjoyed having students again.
(Also fine was that my little tin can of a car was totalled as I slid on glazey sleet after a late evening review session on campus. Bent the axle as I hit the curb near Borders on the way home. Momentum was conserved and I wound up with a new car sooner than I would have otherwise. cool.gif )
Overall, the TA/tutor work is a good deal for you and for your students. Generally speaking, I found the very “best” and the very “worst” students came for tutoring. The very best, very type A students came to “get” that last little drop of info and understanding…they kept me on my toes! The floundering-and-about-to-fail came too. Some just wanting a magical rescue from me, some really ready to work. This latter group was fun. It’s neat to see the light bulb come on over someone’s head.
Good luck with it if you decide to pursue TA-ing. It’s worth a mention on your app somewhere, either in the essay or AMCAS’s “15 Experiences”. Or your interviews… :-}