dropout OUCH

My senior year a friend thought it would be funny to shoot me with a paintball. It hit me in the eye…2 retinal vitrectomy and a scleral buckle later my grades where crap. Instead of returning to school the next year I went straight to CC. Half way through my second semester I was called into the deans office to discuss my lack of diploma. I took the GED and all was good…fast forward ten years and throw in a 2000 mile move and here I am finished with my first semester. Good grades boosted my confidence enough to finally post on the forums (Ive been browsing them for over a year and many of your stories led to my decision to finally take the chance) Anyway, it really scares me that no matter how well I do this will come back to bite me. How hard will this make getting into school?

Do you mean your senior year in high school? I don’t think your grades there will cause any problems. How have you been doing with your college classes? I don’t think that your getting a GED instead of a high school diploma would hold you back.

I had a rough semester when I was younger so my gpa wasn’t the greatest. I have only completed 1 semester since returning and made 4.0. It pulled my cumulative gpa up to 3.51 and I am pretty confidant I can pull it up even high by the time I submit applications. I have just noticed over the years that people prejudge me because I did not graduate high school. It worries me so I thought I would see what people here thought.

Your high school record is simply not relevant to medical school admissions, unless you committed a felony or something. Your grades, recommendations, extracurriculars and community service as an undergraduate are what is important. Keep up the 4.0-- it’s a great start.

• Hirothecripplekitty Said:
I had a rough semester when I was younger so my gpa wasn't the greatest. I have only completed 1 semester since returning and made 4.0. It pulled my cumulative gpa up to 3.51 and I am pretty confidant I can pull it up even high by the time I submit applications. I have just noticed over the years that people prejudge me because I did not graduate high school. It worries me so I thought I would see what people here thought.

Because you are pretty much in the beginning of your college career (i.e. less than 30 credits, I would gather), you are off to a better start than many. Just keep up with what you are doing...get and keep a high science GPA and that will be a major plus in your application.