English course requirement

Does anyone know if the English course requirement needs to be a particular class specifically, ie Comp. or Writing?

Will Lit. classes suffice?

I have a Comp 101 from back in the day, as well as multiple Lit courses.

It seems like the schools want a significant writing component.

I have always felt that the explanation for the English requirement is somewhat ambiguous. The science classes are easier to map out, having a definitive sequence.

I do have a graduate degree with a few writing intensive courses, and certainly have had other writing intensive undergrad courses.

I’m just curious if adcoms look for specific English courses, or are there numerous classes that are suitable?

It can be vague, indeed. There’s no exact answer on this one!

I just had to email the schools I am applying to and ask them to give me a direct answer on this question. (I had 3 hrs of ENG101, but my other 3 hours of English were originally fulfilled with an honors course whose title would not make it apparent that it had a writing/literary component.)

I’d do the same if I were you–it never hurts to ask your specific programs instead of making an assumption. It would be a shame to get your application denied on a technicality!

The english course CAN NOT be a remedial or P/F course. If you are still in doubt, consult the following:

- school’s website

• OPM

• SDN (Student Doctor Network) forum

• MSAR

I hope this helps!
  • In reply to:
The english course CAN NOT be a remedial or P/F course. If you are still in doubt, consult the following:

- school's website

- OPM

- SDN (Student Doctor Network) forum

- MSAR

I hope this helps!

Thanks TJJ! I do realize the courses need to graded, I am just uncertain as to whether or not they must be a specific type of English course (writing, composition, literature).

Perhaps I am over analyzing?

The recommendation from my pre-med advisor is any course that begins with ENGL (i.e. ENGL 245, etc.). It’s a good idea to check each school to which you want to apply because some specify things like “writing intensive,” etc.

I had this issue. I didn’t have any English courses on my transcript, so e-mailed more than a dozen schools regarding what I DO have on my transcript - AP English, comparative literature and journalism classes. Some would accept the AP credits, some would accept the comp lit, some would accept the journalism. But between all of that, I was mostly OK. Really, you need to contact the schools directly and tell them your specific situation.

Thanks folks! I will check with the schools. I think that I am probably OK, but would hate to find out differently after submitting my application.