Ethics Major - Thinking of Pre-Med

Hello all!

I’m new to this, so forgive me if this is out of place.

I am a recent graduate with a Master’s by Coursework in Applied Ethics (Medical and Bio) from the University of New South Wales, in Sydney Australia. I received my undergrad degree in Philosophy (Professions and Values) from Christopher Newport University in Virginia. I’m interested in Bio and Medical Ethics, particularly ethics and practices concerning clinical research. While I have an extensive knowledge of the Ethics in the Medical profession (everything ranging from Doctor-Patient relations to Experimentation and Research), I do not have a Medical or Biology degree. It was suggested by an academic adviser I spoke with from George Mason University that I look into this site regarding future career/educational choices. I am definitely interested in getting a PhD, and possibly even Med School, however I would also like to get my foot in the door in the industry and get some experience. I’m 28 years old and have been in the corporate world for the majority of my work experience.

Any suggestions? Should I look into Med School? Maybe go back for a second degree in Biology? If so, my undergrad grades were less than stellar due to an errant first year. My graduate grades were excellent, however, I worry that schools in the US or companies here won’t count them as they’re not technically US Credentials.

Anyone that has suggestions about where to start for my career choice would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Jonas

Only go to medical school if you want to be a doctor. It’s not a very useful degree to apply to other professions and career paths (unlike the ethics degree).