Experience, Knowledge, Accomplishments, and Maturity, does it matter?

Hello all!

I’m a nontraditional student working full-time wanting to become a doctor (a DO). I am 30 years old and I have a BS and MS in Exercise Physiology. My experience consists of 7 years in a hospital based cardiac rehab program as a clinical exercise physiologist in an inpatient and outpatient setting. I worked alongside many doctors and spent plenty of time around high acuity situations. During that time, I was also a member of the Code Blue response team and taught other healthcare professionals what to do in case of an emergency. My question is, as an applicant, would a school overlook my clinical experience, educational accomplishments, certifications, medical knowledge, maturity, and bilingual abilities because of a mediocre MCAT score (500-510)? I plan to take the MCAT on May 5. I will be applying to PCOM (Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine) around June to hopefully matriculate into 2019. I work full time now as a lead EP in an outpatient clinic and will be studying during after hours. I know its going to be a tough road ahead, but should I be striving for a 515 or greater as Dr. Ryan Gray advises on his podcasts?

Frank

All of that definitely matters, but it also matters how you write about it in your application as to whether you sell them as attributes or just things you’ve done.

515 seems pretty high. In 2016, the matriculant mean score was 502 (according to AACOM). It has probably gone up slightly since then, but 500-510 is definitely not going to be a primary reason to not get accepted. From the same data, the 79th percentile for DO was around 507.

Just do as well on the test as possible. There’s really no point in worrying how the score will impact you before you even get the score, especially because you’ll have the opportunity to retest if you aren’t satisfied (cannot do that with boards in med school).

Kenny,
Thanks for the feedback. Makes a lot sense. Thanks for putting into perspective for me. Maybe i misunderstood Ryan on the show but i also thought 515 seemed a little steep. Ill try my very best nonetheless. Thank you for the advice, i’ll keep it in mind.
-Frank