Experiencing Heartburn over LORs

I know the Letters of Recommendation topic is like beating a dead horse, but my issue is more of a “what would you do?” call for advice.

After much debate about whether to apply late in the 2009 cycle or wait it out and apply first thing in May 2010, I’ve decided to go with the latter option. It just goes more with the “this is not a marathon” mentality and it makes more sense for me. However, I’ve already asked a couple professors to write me LORs and they have agreed.

Question 1: Can I have them go ahead and write them now and then hold them until I actually apply? Is this the most sensible approach?

The next issue is that I have spoken a couple of times with the pre-med advisor at the university that I received my undergrad from so many years ago. He is new to his job and I am having trust issues with him handling my precious med school application details. Plus, he seems to be more caught up with the traditional students and seems to have little faith in me as an applicant since he doesn’t seem to understand my process (again, he is new). He has told me that he would be happy to compile my letters for me in the traditional manner or that I could do them on my own.

Question 2: What would you do? Should I trust this guy? It gives me heartburn to think that they could be lost in a pile of papers on his desk or that a deadline could be missed. Is it worth it to just compile them on my own and would it look bad if I did so? Furthermore, do people actually have success with this? What’s the best way to go about it?

Thanks for any advice fellow crazy people!

Scratch that “this is not a marathon” bit… um, obviously didn’t proofread very well on that one because it IS a marathon! Apologies. Carry on with the advice giving…

• Wiggy Said:
I know the Letters of Recommendation topic is like beating a dead horse, but my issue is more of a "what would you do?" call for advice.

After much debate about whether to apply late in the 2009 cycle or wait it out and apply first thing in May 2010, I've decided to go with the latter option. It just goes more with the "this is not a marathon" mentality and it makes more sense for me. However, I've already asked a couple professors to write me LORs and they have agreed.

Question 1: Can I have them go ahead and write them now and then hold them until I actually apply? Is this the most sensible approach?

Have you thought of opening a interfolio account? This way your writers can submit your letters whenever, and you'll have it when you start the application process. It seems to be an easier option for the letter writer.

• In reply to:

The next issue is that I have spoken a couple of times with the pre-med advisor at the university that I received my undergrad from so many years ago. He is new to his job and I am having trust issues with him handling my precious med school application details. Plus, he seems to be more caught up with the traditional students and seems to have little faith in me as an applicant since he doesn't seem to understand my process (again, he is new). He has told me that he would be happy to compile my letters for me in the traditional manner or that I could do them on my own.

Question 2: What would you do? Should I trust this guy? It gives me heartburn to think that they could be lost in a pile of papers on his desk or that a deadline could be missed. Is it worth it to just compile them on my own and would it look bad if I did so? Furthermore, do people actually have success with this? What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks for any advice fellow crazy people!

Since you are no longer a student at this institution, I would probably work on doing this process yourself. I'm sure that besides the fact of the advisor being new, he will most likely be taking care of currently matriculated student, whether they are traditional or nontraditional.

I think Krisss17 had a good idea. Interfolio is cheap, and you can keep the recommendation letters on file and send them to the med schools when you’re ready. I’m using it, thinking that if I don’t get in this year, I’ll still have the LORs ready for next year.

Thanks for the tips guys! With interfolio, can I still sign the form to waive my right to see the letters? I want everything to be legit.

• Wiggy Said:
Thanks for the tips guys! With interfolio, can I still sign the form to waive my right to see the letters? I want everything to be legit.

I'm not certain how that works as I haven't yet opened up an account. I would definitely suggest that you check with interfolio directly. I'm sure that there has definitely got to be some box to check that provides this waiver. Considering the role Interfolio plays in this process and how many schools use it, I would expect something in this regard.
  • Wiggy Said:

Yes, interfolio gives you that option. I recently wrote an LOR and was pleased with the interfolio process - I was able to do the whole thing electronically, which saved me time and hassle.

Mary