Failed in my first MCAT practice test

Hi, everyone,

After studying for MCAT for 2 month, I took my first practice test today. I am feeling demoralized and completely discouraged after getting a 12W. My goal is at least 32, and I’m thinking right now is that even possible for me?! I can’t fail this test, I spent the past 3 years back in school just so I can get into one med school. Now I am so discouraged.

Shan

• Shan Said:
Hi, everyone,

After studying for MCAT for 2 month, I took my first practice test today. I am feeling demoralized and completely discouraged after getting a 12W. My goal is at least 32, and I'm thinking right now is that even possible for me?! I can't fail this test, I spent the past 3 years back in school just so I can get into one med school. Now I am so discouraged.

Shan

Rule 1: Take a Breath (I mean that literally)

Rule 10: Beware of FUD -- Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Success on MCAT is as much attitude/mindset as it is content, practice, and exam skills. It can be overwhelming, demoralizing, wrenching, and the rest. But before you give up hope on your dream, take a breath and lets figure out why you didn't do well.

1) Was it content, did you not know the material?

2) was it time management, simply running out of time during the practice?

3) was it panic and fear during the exam due the the above 2 reasons

Shan I understand. I took my first practice test after a month in Kaplan and saw no improvement in the total and even dropped a little in my VR score. The good news is that (A) it was only a practice test (B) there is time for improvement © now you know what to work on.

That still doesn’t mean I wasn’t in a funk for a few days. Hang in there.

Please don’t be discouraged. This is only your first practice test. Try more and see how it goes.

Good luck!

BTW, I will take MCAT in two months and haven’t really started preparing for it here.

Please visit my MCAT prep blog, thanks

A break up of your scores would help, even though I am assuming you scored low everywhere…

At 12, this is a serious issue you are facing. Yet nothing is impossible.

1- Do you know the stuff (like the back of your hand)?

2- How did you prepare?

Some folks think of buying a book or two and believe this is adequat preparation.

First of, I would at least give it 6 months perhaps 1 year in your case. Second I would grab a list of mcat topics and make sure to review and master each of these using textbooks (that means doing all the problems with solution in each chapter, or at least the hardest ones). However be careful, THIS WON’t PREPARE you to the ways of the MCAT. It will merely provide the minimum substance you need to solve the tricky MCAT questions. Once you feel you MASTER all the topics, then you should use prep material (Princeton, Kaplan, ExamKrakers), and you should actually try a combination of those and make sure that you score 85% or more on any test.

Then try the AAMC tests. You should score in the 30’s no problem.

Good luck.

What Gonnif said.

Analyzing why you got questions wrong will give you a lot of information on what course you need to take.

I) Do you know the stuff?

A)If No, Are you willing to study more?

i)If yes, Huzzah! Your answer!

ii)If no, more introspection must commence, and a path will become clear, eventually.

B)If you know the stuff?

i)Do you have test taking anxiety?

a) Are you willing to work with a therapist to over come this?

ii)Is there something that is leading you to pick the wrong answers?

As you can see, analyzing the root cause of the incorrect answers will help lead you to what needs to be done.

Don’t be discouraged with the number alone. Many of the practice exams (Kaplan’s 1st exam included) are hard in order to either scare you into studying more… or so Kaplan doesn’t have to give you your money back because they showed you improved your score.

So take a deep breath, you can get through this.

Hi You still have time. Please don’t be discouraged by the first time. Just try more!