failed my boards

i am so utterly dejected. i just got my scores back and failed by one stupid point. i know the good news is that i’m close. but it’s still pretty devestating to know that i get pulled out of my rotations and have to restudy and retake the exam.
i’m wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me. i took the kaplan course and studied for three weeks after the kaplan exam. i completed all of qbank and had a 52% average. i primarily used first aid and the kaplan books. i need to pass this second time around and would appreciate any thing you all can.
thanks…

Quote:

i am so utterly dejected. i just got my scores back and failed by one stupid point. i know the good news is that i’m close. but it’s still pretty devestating to know that i get pulled out of my rotations and have to restudy and retake the exam.

i’m wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me. i took the kaplan course and studied for three weeks after the kaplan exam. i completed all of qbank and had a 52% average. i primarily used first aid and the kaplan books. i need to pass this second time around and would appreciate any thing you all can.

thanks…

Hi Kelly,

You know what to expect so you do what you need to do to get past this. Almost everyone who fails, does so by one or two points. Get a good schedule and hone in on what your weaknesses were.

Natalie

P.S. Just to let you know that failing Step I is not the end of the world, I have a former classmate who failed Step I. She is now finishing up an Internal Medicine residency at a very highly rated academic center in New England and headed for a very, very highly rated cardiology fellowship. She rocked on Step II and worked very hard during her third year. She also has done very well in her internal medicine residency. She states that failing Step I was her “wake-up call”. She studied, re-took the exam and passed on her second attempt. Don’t let this throw you off. You can get past this and have a great career. My friend has also done better in terms of Match and fellowship than most of the folks who passed on the first try! Hang in there! I still think you are going to ROCK as a physician because you know how to overcome adversity. While you may not like these lessons, during internship, you will be surprised at how they will serve you well. You are going to know this stuff.

kellysmith,
I’m sorry to hear about your board results. I can imagine you are feeling down right now. However, Natalie is right. You have taken this test now, and know the areas that need work for your second (successful!!) attempt.
Best,
Kathy

Hi. I’m sorry to hear about the setback. You didn’t mention it in your list of study materials, but I found the Goljan path review to be very helpful.
Best of luck, and try not to let this get to you for long.
Bill

I would second the Goljan. If you can get the audio lectures, get them. He integrates EVERYTHING very well. www.coolgoose.com and search for Papi. It comes up with all his lecures in MP3 format. I live by them. I an so envious of the OSU students who have the guy on a regular basis.
Chin up. Smack it around next time.

Hi,
So sorry that happened. If it makes you feel any better you are not alone, my best friend said that had a huge portion of her class failed this year. They think it was harder this year than it has been in the past. Don’t know if that is true, but they had more fail this year than they have in the past.
Cheer up, chin up and try again. You know what to expect now, so kick butt this time.
Good luck!!!

one of my friends failed it too. She is devastated. She said she feels so stupid. But I say…BUCK UP and go after it again. Its like losing one game in the season, it doesn’t matter if it is by one or 100. You still lost. Next week is another game.
Strap it on and go after it next game I say.