Fee Assistance Program question

I was wondering if anyone has done this. I am single, over 40, and other than small side work haven’t had a job in a long time. I drained a lot of savings taking classes, and while I’m not living on the street, I don’t have a lot of extra either.

I notice on the aamc.org site that it talks about needing financial information from you and your parents. Does this still apply to people on their own who aren’t under, or haven’t been under their parents care for over 25 years now?

I went to fill it out earlier this year and it wouldn’t let me complete it without my parents info. I didn’t pursue it any further so I don’t know if they give any excetions to older students, but giving a call to AAMC may allow them to grant an exception.

It was awhile ago, but I did get a AAMC fee waiver without my parents’ information. I was like you: I quit work to go to school full-time and was living off my savings.

I just joined OPM so my response might be a little late, but I wanted to give one anyway, in case someone else could find it useful.

I applied for fee assistance this year as a 27-year-old completely independent of my parents’ income. How ever, because AAMC does not distinguish between dependent and independent status, you are required to list your parents’ financial status for the previous tax year.

I was an AmeriCorps volunteer and qualified for FAP because I was living below federal poverty level and my parents were both unemployed.

Here is a link to the AAMC FAP webpage with FAQ’s: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amc as/14598…