feedback on Examkrackers books?

I am currently taking an MCAT course but supplementing my studies with the Examkrackers books because they are very easy to understand and cover the basics. I was wondering however if anyone has used these books as their ONLY means to study for the MCAT and did well on the actual test? It seems to me that the books are very very basic while the material covered in my course is more detailed. Is all this detail necessary to do well(30+) on the MCAT?

I’ve been wondering this too. I have the “complete study package” of five books as well as the 1001 questions books for the same subjects. As I go through them, you see notes and discussions like "you don’t really need to know this for the “MCAT” and such. Just wondering how accurate that all is.

I think the books are straight forward, and have been a good review for some classes that I took a long tie ago.

EK Bio and Verbal, superb!!! 1001 questions are also great for practice.

Everything else? Berkeley review.

thanks for your input! I keep hearing that the 1001 EK books are great to help achieve a high score! Also, the Berkeley Review books keep showing up everywhere I’m looking for MCAT advice so perhaps I will invest in those as well!

One of the best tools is practice questions and practice MCATs. the more exposure you can give yourself to the test the better.

Having taken it, I think the most important aspect of the test is learning how to take it. Learning the way the questions are asked, pacing yourself during the test, selecting the write answer, ect. Most of the material on there can be “thought out” with just the knowledge from the review books. The key to the MCAT is being able to read these outrageous passages and then analyzing questions.

The best example I saw on my own test was a physics passage that had like 5 different area of physics (like optics, fluid dynamics, ect.), the questions that came with it were pretty basic. The key is to read all of that “stuff” and not psyche yourself out of the questions.

You’re awesome, BaileyPup! Thanks so much for all the advice. Yes I have been told that taking diagnostics is a great way to improve and do your best–I’m just trying to get over being so “bad” at them initially! (the overachiever in me doesn’t like to be “bad” at anything!) I will certainly invest in all EK materials!

I wouldn’t go that far. I am just fresh off MCAT prep and taking it.

I used EK for everything, supplemented VR studying with TPR and scored 30+. So just from my experience, it works.

The books are good, but I’ve found a number of bad errors in them. I’ve noticed they effed up a few things in the circuits section for Physics, Jen’s found a number of errors in the Biology book starting halfway through (which she can probably summarize better).

It’s good, but certainly not a standalone source. Have another source to compare things to.

Jen here. Just finished taking the MCAT this morning (don’t ask yet. I need some time to decompress and sleep before I can comment more objectively on how it went). I used the EK books extensively in studying and I found them to be very good. I think EK’s best qualities are that it promotes taking time to refocus between each passage and that it frequently will explain how a topic will be tested. Helps to avoid over-studying. Especially in the physics, it would give very specific examples of how to narrow down the system in question and how to apply the equations.

For bio, there were some mistakes in the second half of the book. I’d have to look through for examples but mainly things like incorrect abbreviations, bad wording and close-but-not-quite statements. Then again, I did use the 6th edition, hopefully 7th has corrected these.

I found that chemistry skipped some topics altogether. Taking practice tests (AAMC!) is a good way to find out what the books didn’t cover. I supplemented with undergrad textbooks and recommend this.

Didn’t use the verbal book. My post-grad program ran some practice sessions on VR and had a fantastic method for getting better: get some people and each do one section at the same time (on your own). Then, go through each question and defend your answer, trying to reach a group consensus. You must be able to express and understand why your answer is best. This helped me greatly.

I really think EK is the best of the available study aids (though I didn’t try Princeton Review) when you need a resource to learn the material.

I’m studying with EK MCAT prep along with The Gold Standard DVD’s. I’ve tried Princeton and Kaplan review books. They are great as well but prefer how EK has each subject matter individualized in it’s own book. One medical student advised on this. Working out well so far. (Mcat date Jan 2012.). Good luck to everyone.