Feeling BLUE

Exams were Monday and I passed all but one. Anatomy. Head and Neck along with Pelvis. I’ve never been more frustrated/humiliated in all my life. I did so badly it pulled my average down into the 70’s. The exam was incredibly difficult. I know its just one exam, but it feels horrible to do that badly. Oh well…I guess ENT is not in my future!

Quote:

Exams were Monday and I passed all but one. Anatomy. Head and Neck along with Pelvis. I’ve never been more frustrated/humiliated in all my life. I did so badly it pulled my average down into the 70’s. The exam was incredibly difficult. I know its just one exam, but it feels horrible to do that badly. Oh well…I guess ENT is not in my future!

Hi there,
One failure in Gross Anatomy does not equate to giving up ENT, Surgery or anything else. You have far more in front of you to excell in than you have behind you. This one’s in the can so move on to the next one. Besides, you have another crack at the Head and Neck stuff when you are reviewing for your USMLE Step I. Granted anatomy is not one of the key subjects but you might have one or two questions from Head and Neck.
My ENT buddies tell me that they get to go to this course where they are given a frozen head to dissect. Think of this as your third opportunity to do some head and neck work.
Now the poor showing on Pelvic Anatomy is a conundrum for me. Here you are with four beautiful children so I know that you know your way around the Pelvic cavity!
Natalie

NATTTTTT!!! You dawg!!!
His anatomy tests were generally clinical and not as minutia oriented. You had to know it, but it wasn’t a laproscopic exam. He made this one very difficult and I had some MS-2’s tell me it was his hardest exam and he did it to knock everyone down a point or two just to let them know they could not slack off for the final. Kind of shot across the bow.
back to embryo. all of our finals in one week are cumulative. lots to re-examine.

Joe,
Sorry to hear that you didn’t do well on your exam, but you have many more to take, and, as usual, Nat offered sane, good advice. Take care, stay warm and healthy, and keep plugging.
Kathy

congrats on flunking a test. Well not really of course, but it is only one. I flunked head and neck too. But I still passed anatomy. It is not something to be proud of, but not something to be overwhelmed by either. If you flunk a test – you try to do better on the next one. if you flunk a class, you take it over. You do what you must. I find that many of us olde phartes make up for a lack of brilliance with patience and persistance.
You have done well to get this far. It shows you CAN do it. I know you are gonna get through this!!!
Steve

SWY, correct in your assessment. I passed the final and therefore did well overall in the class. I was told by many that Head and Neck was the worst one to learn and do it quickly. I was told that the Brits take a full 2 months to really delve into it since they have anatomy over one year and not one semester. The Proctor for Lab was stunned that we had to learn it in one month…well, really 2 weeks since we also did pelvic. My head feels like mush.
One semester down…10 more to go.