FELONOIUS BACKGROUNDS

i WAS WONDERING…DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVICE OR THOUGHTS ABOUT STUDENTS WHO HAVE A FELONY CONVICTION AND ARE FACED WITH BEING JUDGED ON THE BAD DEED. WHAT CHANCE DO YOU THINK SUCH AN INDIVIDUAL WOULD HAVE OF BEING ACCEPTED TO MED SCHOOL AND BEING EMPLOYED AS A DOCTOR? JUST SO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED…
THE PERSON IN QUESTION WAS EMPLOYED AS A COSMETIC COUNTER MANAGER IN THE MALL AND ACCEPTED TIPS AND PAYMENT FOR A WEDDING-PARTY MAKEOVER ON THE JOB. THE RETAILER'S POLICY WAS THAT NO REP WAS TO ACCEPT SUCH PAYMENTS. THE REP DID NOT KNOW OF THIS POLICY AND WAS SUBSEQUENTLY ARRESTED ON THE JOB AND TAKEN TO JAIL. SHE WAS APPOINTED A LAWYER WHO WAS FRESH OUT OF LAW SCHOOL WITH LITTLE EXPERIENCE AND CONFIDENCE. THIS HURT HER, AND SHE ENDED UP BEING PRESSURED BY THE PROSECUTOR TO ACCEPT A BARGAIN IN EXCHANGE FOR A GUILTY PLEA. SHE GOT A 2 YEAR SUSPENDED SENTENCE, 2 YEARS PROBATION, AND COMMUNITY SERVICE.

Hmmmm…no offense, but violation of an employers policy does not generally constitute a prosecutable offense, let alone a felony level crime. To be arrested, prosecuted and subsequently convicted of a felony, the person must have violated the laws of the state &/or Fed Gov’t. So, I am getting the impression that there is far more to this story that you have been told.
Regarding getting into medical school - I strongly suspect that the true nature of the crime would have to be fully revealed to the AdCom and your friend would have to hope/pray that the school was willing to give him/her individual scrutiny. I would not count on this, however. Even though apps are numerically way down, the mean performance criteria have actually ventured upwards.
The reason I suspect difficulty in gaining entry has nothing to do with your friend being stigmatized over the felony conviction, although I am positive that that will be a factor. I think that with a felony conviction, your friend will have a very hard time getting licensed and a DEA number. I know that post-felony conviction, there are a number of “rights” that are permanently revoked: voting, gun ownership…
The ONLY thing I can recommend is that your friend contact several state medical licensing boards and an equal number of medical schools to discern their policies on this issue. If your friend is to have any sort of chance, he/she will have to do extensive research, apply selectively and probably have to do some ace-level networking.

Applicants to med school are required to answer questions about felony convictions. While a felony conviction doesn't preclude an individual from being able to succeed in medical school, it may prevent licensing, (i.e., her ability to practice medicine). That being said: why would an admissions committee admit a student to medical school who is predisposed to licensing problems?
All hope is not lost! Your friend has a number of options here, and I'll offer up a few avenues she may want to investigate. First, let me state I am not a lawyer. Your friend really needs to consult with a lawyer. Now, depending on state law, she may write the judge who sentenced her and ask that her conviction be changed from a felony to a misdemeanor.
Another option is expungement of your friend's conviction. Expunging a conviction is not an easy task, but is worth the effort. There are many requirements for getting a criminal conviction expunged, but a few majors are: all terms of the sentence served (probation, jail time and community service), no other criminal convictions past or pending, fines and restitution paid.
Your friend should do as much damage control as possible now. Possible difficulties in a medical career aside, a felony conviction will close off many career opportunities for your friend. With either option I mentioned, your friend should retain a lawyer to help her navigate the legal system.
Good Luck
– Rachel

QUOTE (lesa7578 @ Sep 20 2002, 06:22 PM)
i WAS WONDERING.....DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVICE OR THOUGHTS ABOUT STUDENTS WHO HAVE A FELONY CONVICTION AND ARE FACED WITH BEING JUDGED ON THE BAD DEED. WHAT CHANCE DO YOU THINK SUCH AN INDIVIDUAL WOULD HAVE OF BEING ACCEPTED TO MED SCHOOL AND BEING EMPLOYED AS A DOCTOR? JUST SO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.......
THE PERSON IN QUESTION WAS EMPLOYED AS A COSMETIC COUNTER MANAGER IN THE MALL AND ACCEPTED TIPS AND PAYMENT FOR A WEDDING-PARTY MAKEOVER ON THE JOB. THE RETAILER'S POLICY WAS THAT NO REP WAS TO ACCEPT SUCH PAYMENTS. THE REP DID NOT KNOW OF THIS POLICY AND WAS SUBSEQUENTLY ARRESTED ON THE JOB AND TAKEN TO JAIL. SHE WAS APPOINTED A LAWYER WHO WAS FRESH OUT OF LAW SCHOOL WITH LITTLE EXPERIENCE AND CONFIDENCE. THIS HURT HER, AND SHE ENDED UP BEING PRESSURED BY THE PROSECUTOR TO ACCEPT A BARGAIN IN EXCHANGE FOR A GUILTY PLEA. SHE GOT A 2 YEAR SUSPENDED SENTENCE, 2 YEARS PROBATION, AND COMMUNITY SERVICE.

Hi there,
The person in question should seek some legal representation and information in getting these changes expunged or reduced. If this is not possible, get a copy of the judgement, plea bargin agreement etc. and be prepared to answer any and all questions concerning this matter. You need to be very honest and forthright with any information and questions. I know that on my medical license application, I was required to fully explain any felony convictions and to list the case number and ruling.
While this matter is listed as a felony, it is probably not going to be too serious provided the rest of the application is outstanding. It would also help if the person in question had a letter from someone who might vouch for their honesty under every other situation.