Few questions for you guys

Granted, I know every college is different, but I’m trying to get a rough idea of how time consuming biology 1 and an elementary language class (IE german 1, french 1, etc.) are…the reason being is that I’m probably going to have to work full-time at 32 hours a week next semester, so I’m just wondering how brutal it’s going to be, thanks.

It’s going to depend on both how the courses are taught at your university and your ability with that type of learning. If you can get a hold of the syllabi for both courses either for next term or from a previous term, that might give you some idea of the time commitment. I’ve known some people to find elementary language courses easy, and others have found them to be their most difficult course (I tutored Spanish for the university for a few quarters).

Personally, I found intro bio to be far less time consuming than intro chem and all of its lab reports, but I’m sure that will vary.

Hi Tim,

Well, I guess it depends on how your Bio I is set up (I’ve heard different things). Where I took biology I, it was primarily on the micro side versus macro. You are learning from the cell and it’s parts, working upwards. I also preferred it over Bio II.

For language, I would suggest taking something that you would really enjoy learning. Yes, Spanish would probably be more handy…but if you have an interest in another language…do it! Better to take a language you are going to enjoy and get an “A” than take a language that while useful may be more of a struggle. Also, if you decide on taking French because of an interest…you may find yourself being able to pick up more Spanish than you thought as both are romance languages (as is Italian).

Kris

• Krisss17 Said:
Hi Tim,

Well, I guess it depends on how your Bio I is set up (I've heard different things). Where I took biology I, it was primarily on the micro side versus macro. You are learning from the cell and it's parts, working upwards. I also preferred it over Bio II.

For language, I would suggest taking something that you would really enjoy learning. Yes, Spanish would probably be more handy...but if you have an interest in another language...do it! Better to take a language you are going to enjoy and get an "A" than take a language that while useful may be more of a struggle. Also, if you decide on taking French because of an interest...you may find yourself being able to pick up more Spanish than you thought as both are romance languages (as is Italian).

Kris

Actually, I just used those two languages as an example...I have no interest in French or Spanish; just seems like everyone takes one or the other. I am actually planning to take German.

Go for it! I like I said, it is more important that you get whatever you can from it, enjoy it and get a good grade.

Kris

I’d argue that in today’s world, Chinese would be the most useful foreign language to learn… but considerably more difficult to learn

• ipitydafoo Said:
I'd argue that in today's world, Chinese would be the most useful foreign language to learn... but considerably more difficult to learn

Yeah uh how about no to a language that'll make me pull my hair out. ;P

On the other hand, I have a friend who has studied Chinese and French and reports with delight that Chinese has practically no grammar at all. So there are compensations.