Financial Aid not available

Hey ya’ll. I have a BA in philosophy. I only have a few sciences classes required more medical school. So I decided to go back to college and get the rest of the classes done. However, no college will give me financial aid to do this because I have a degree already. Are there any scholarships out there? I am an EMT and don’t earn much money. I am willing to pay for school but I would also like to eat! Economic reasons have moved far from post bacc programs so I am just attending a local 4 year college.

I actually had the same issue. The university I wanted to attend did not admit students for 2nd bachelor’s degree, which means I could only attend as a postbacc/graduate non-degree, but no financial aid available for non-degree students. But some schools do allow 2nd bachelor’s. Maybe look for another school? Usually, the smaller, less known state universities do allow 2nd bachelor students. At least, this is the case in Illinois.

In my case, I’m going to live in a box and eat can food for next 2 years so I can pay for school

Not true - you can borrow money.

From the Federal Student Aid Handbook, page 77 http://ifap.ed.gov/sfahandbooks/attachme nts/0809FSAHbkVol1.pdf

http://ifap.ed.gov/sfahandbooks/attachme nts/0809FSAHbkVol1.pdf

:

• In reply to:
Preparatory coursework

A student may apply for a Stafford or PLUS loan for coursework the school has documented is necessary for him to enroll in an eligible

program. The courses must be part of an eligible program otherwise offered by the school, though the student does not have to be in that program. If enrolled at least half time in these prerequisite courses, he is eligible for loans for one consecutive 12-month period (not per program) beginning on the first day of the loan period. If the period of preparatory courses spans more than one academic year, the student may receive multiple loans.

Students seeking to enter an undergraduate degree or certificate program may borrow up to $2,625 of Stafford funds (with up to $4,000 more in unsubsidized funds for independent students and dependent students whose parents were declined a PLUS loan), and students trying to enroll in a graduate or professional program may borrow as

much as $5,500(and up to $7,000 of additional unsubsidized funds). For students in both categories, the loan limit is not prorated if the coursework is less than an academic year.

To be eligible under this exception, the student must be taking classes that are a prerequisite for admission. If he is only taking them to raise his GPA in order to be admitted, he would not qualify for loans under this exception.

I was able to borrow money to fund my pre-reqs this way. (I was enrolled as a non-degree student) I had to have an advisor sign a statement every quarter that certified that the courses I was enrolled in were pre-requisites for a professional program. It's very difficult to get all of the courses done in 12 months, but it's better than nothing.

One of my friends enrolled as a degree-seeking student (already had a degree) and was able to borrow at least some money towards her pre-reqs. I'm not sure if she borrowed under this clause or not. She had some constraints as to how many total hours she could take, but was still able to borrow some.

A third option is private educational loans, if you have good credit. I had another friend who financed her pre-reqs this way.

My advice - don't take the word of anybody as gospel on this journey (especially financial aid people). The FA person at the school I took most of my pre-reqs at had never heard of the financial aid for pre-reqs until I told her about it. Once I told her about it, she looked it up, realized it was indeed a fact, and helped me out.
  1. Get degree seeking status in a college other than the one you currently have (ala College of Science & Engineering)

2. Fill out FAFSA

3. Fill out financial aid forms

4. Apply for Stafford loans

As long as you are not over the undergraduate limit for funding, and ARE (on paper) seeking a 2nd degree, the federal gov’t will pay for courses via loans.

That is how I paid for my pre-reqs for MBA - NOT as pre-reqs for professional program but as 2nd degree seeking candidate outside original college and major.

You will not be eligible for grants of most sorts (Pell, state, etc) but may very well be eligible for school specific grants (ala in my case, a woman’s scholarship).

Best of luck to you!
  • Emergency! Said:
I was able to borrow money to fund my pre-reqs this way. (I was enrolled as a non-degree student) I had to have an advisor sign a statement every quarter that certified that the courses I was enrolled in were pre-requisites for a professional program. It's very difficult to get all of the courses done in 12 months, but it's better than nothing.

I was also able to use this program to get preqs for grad school paid for. Howvever, not every school allows students to do this as a non degree seeking student.

Thanks all for this info. I never knew this stuff and filled out my FAFSA last night. Hopefully, I can get some student loans to take care of the few classes I have left.

My school requires me to be degree seeking on paper, but if I make it into med school the understanding is there that I will not be finishing my 2nd bachelor’s there. So for all respective purposes on paper I am what they require to gain access to stafford loans. And I’m ever on the hunt for scholarships I qualify for.

• In reply to:

Preparatory coursework

A student may apply for a Stafford or PLUS loan for coursework the school has documented is necessary for him to enroll in an eligible

program. The courses must be part of an eligible program otherwise offered by the school, though the student does not have to be in that program. If enrolled at least half time in these prerequisite courses, he is eligible for loans for one consecutive 12-month period (not per program) beginning on the first day of the loan period. If the period of preparatory courses spans more than one academic year, the student may receive multiple loans.

Students seeking to enter an undergraduate degree or certificate program may borrow up to $2,625 of Stafford funds (with up to $4,000 more in unsubsidized funds for independent students and dependent students whose parents were declined a PLUS loan), and students trying to enroll in a graduate or professional program may borrow as

much as $5,500(and up to $7,000 of additional unsubsidized funds). For students in both categories, the loan limit is not prorated if the coursework is less than an academic year.

To be eligible under this exception, the student must be taking classes that are a prerequisite for admission. If he is only taking them to raise his GPA in order to be admitted, he would not qualify for loans under this exception.

I talked to my school's financial aid department and they do not make this exception. A student must be in a degree-seeking program to get ANY financial aid/loans. They said it depends on the school and they don't. At schools that do not allow 2nd bachelor's degree, you really don't have any way to get federal financial aid/loans unless you get into a graduate program.

I forgot, you can still get private/alternative loans though.