First Rejection for 2010 Matriculation

So, I got another rejection (Tulane - kind of bummed b/c I really like NOLA, but oh well), but I also received two invites - Eastern Virginia and Wake Forest. Finally, something to be happy about during this process. I actually think both of these schools are a good fit for me so I’m pretty stoked. Anyway, I’ll keep you guys updated and good luck to everyone else! Hopefully I’ll hear from more schools soon, but we only need to get into one.

Yay! Good news on the invites from Eastern Virginia and Wake Forest! Do you know yet when you’ll be going for the interviews? Keep us posted!

I interview at Eastern Virginia October 21st and with Wake Forest on November 19th. I heard Eastern Virginia is very difficult so I’ll need to start prepping - I’m going to be in Chicago for work all of next week so I think I’ll have time in the evenings to get something done for a change. Every day I work I get constant reminders that I have definitely made the right decision in going to medical school. Looking at the costs is still pretty scary, but there are much worse things in life. Good luck!

my first rejection is from UC Irvine. I got a UC Davis secondary but I’m in a holding pattern for other selective secondaries and interviews…

I interviewed in EVMS three years ago… Wow - hard to believe how fast the time flies. Anyway! The interview was very intimidating… even in retrospect. I guess I didn’t do too horrible b/c I ended up being accepted, but I remember how uncomfortable the whole experience was. Most of the questions were not too bad… but I guess anything can seem bad enough when you are observed by a bunch of people judging you and you ;). They asked some ethical questions though… I got something about being asked by a terminally ill patient to help him end his agony.

Good luck on your interview next week and… despite the interview’s structure I really liked the school; hope you will, too :).

Maryland interview invite today! So happy they finally came through. Not until January 27th, but at least I’m going.

Good luck with your interview at Maryland. It’s a great school!!

Kasia, what kinds of questions did they ask you that you found so challenging? I’ve been reading some examples from the general pre-med lit, and they don’t seem too horrible, but I don’t know if they ask nontrads “tougher” questions…

I have an interview at UMass next week, btw!

I just found out that I was placed in the top 1/3 of the waitlist for EVMS and am pretty bummed. I am hoping it’s because I am out of state but am worried because of my upcoming interview at Wake Forest on Thursday. If anyone has any advice as to what specific questions I should be asking in my interview I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone else.

EVMS is heavy on in-state students. Top third is good for an out-of-stater. Their list is moving up a lot. So don’t be bummed! I was on their waitlist, too!

I know - easier said than done. I had my first interview in very early September and got placed on a waitlist. I didn’t get my first acceptance until May when the waitlists started moving, so I definitely know how you feel.

Don’t sweat it right now. Do you best at your remaining interviews.

If you want to keep your door to EVMS open, send them a nice thank you letter, keep them updated every now and then an keep reminding that you’re still interested. It will pay off!

Good luck,

Kasia

I received my first rejection today from West Virginia, my wife finds it quite humorous and can’t keep from making fun of me for it.(insert random West Virginia joke)

I’m complete at ten others so wish me luck!

LUCK!

second rejection - this one from UCSF, which isn’t surprising but still disappointing. I hope to post some good news at some point! Good luck to everyone.

I don’t have a lot of news at this point, but thought I would drop a quick update. I had my interview at Wake Forest last week and absolutely love the school. I think the interviews went well, but I guess I’ll really find out the second week of December. I have my interview at my state school at the end of January, but am on hold nearly every where else at this point. Hopefully I’ll have an acceptance at Wake to post in the near future - keeping my fingers crossed!

• dcathell815 Said:
I don't have a lot of news at this point, but thought I would drop a quick update. I had my interview at Wake Forest last week and absolutely love the school. I think the interviews went well, but I guess I'll really find out the second week of December. I have my interview at my state school at the end of January, but am on hold nearly every where else at this point. Hopefully I'll have an acceptance at Wake to post in the near future - keeping my fingers crossed!

Keep updating all those schools where you are on hold! Send them a letter every now and then to let them know you are still interested, and if you had some new grades or other achievements worth mentioning make sure you point them out.

As the year progresses, the waitlist WILL start to move once deposits are due. The committee will take a student who really wants to be there over a student that has not shown much interest.

I have been patiently waiting to see updates here. No one??? Just curious.

Okay, so here’s where I stand (any and all advice will be greatly appreciated). I have interviewed with 4 schools (in order) - Eastern Virginia, Wake Forest, Maryland and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. I am in the top portion of the wait list for EVMS, alternate list at Wake (no specific designation), post-interview hold with Maryland and accepted (yeah!) at PCOM.

Now, here’s my dilemma - Maryland is my first choice, followed by Wake Forest, but my wife and I don’t really want to move (we live in the Baltimore area). I have some confidence that I will be accepted by Wake, but am not totally sure. I honestly have no idea regarding Maryland - I think the economy makes this a very competitive year for Maryland residents (competitive students that may have considered OOS schools may go to Maryland for financial reasons). However, I will need to send in a $2,000 non-refundable deposit to PCOM by April 19th! I liked the school, but didn’t absolutely love it and would much prefer to go to Maryland or Wake. It does have the added benefit that my wife would not have to move since it’s a little less than 2 hours from us (come home on the weekends), but that’s still not a great solution. It is highly unlikely that I hear from any of the other schools before 4/19, so I feel like I’m kind of stuck at this point. My main concern is that if I don’t send in the $2,000 and I don’t get accepted anywhere else I will have to reapply next year. This has been weighing on my mind a lot as of late and I’m just not sure what to do. I know no one can tell me, but any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My advice for what it is worth to wait until April 15th-ish to see what happens, but PAY THE DEPOSIT at that point in time.

You have an acceptance in hand. Don’t let it slip through your fingers because you never know what might happen at the other schools, this year or next.

Think of it as an investment.

Lynda

and so what happened?