First year books

I printed off the list of books that my med school is requiring, and boy howdy, there’s a bunch of them!!! I know some books are “reference” and the type that students would want to keep, but others you may not really use after that semester. Because I’m going to school overseas, I also have concerns about waiting to get the books later. Any advice?
Kathy

We were lucky in that we had a huge library, so I only bought a few inexpensive review books.
Will the school give you email addresses of current students? You can get some advice from some students that have gone to your school. From my experience, most lectures had sufficient notes for us. Most books were for reference only. There are few books that you will have from medical school that you will still use in residency. One being a good anatomy book. I liked Netter’s. It is an artist’s depiction. What you will learn in anatomy is, it is all location, location, location… You can get a good used one on amazon, ebay,…You do not need a new one (anatomy has not changed).
Where are you going?

Rachel,
I’m going to St. Christopher’s in the UK. It has a LONG book list, and I’ve already gotton the Netters and Moore for anatomy. JoeP is there also, and told me not to worry about the rest. Its just my anxiety about getting over there and not having what I need.
Kathy

We have 11 books for the first 11 week block. We have 6 blocks total in the first year so I can only imagine how many books I will end up with.

I am a book person and love to read and cross-reference a number of sources when I study so I actually bought all 11 books. However I think I will return the epidemology books because some of the previous class have said we won’t need them.

You know, I have noticed what is in the books is not difficult material. So I guess it is all about the volume that makes med school so hard.

Holy cow Amy! we were told by almost every single MS2 to not purchase hardly any books…they say there is just no time to actually read them and the syllabus is very very detailed. I am only buying maybe 5 for the whole year.

Haha - Amy, you sound like me at the beginning of my first year!! What I wish I had known was that most books were available on reserve in the library, or were not really necessary. My friend made all A’s and used only one or two texts besides the class notes. So this year I am not buying any book until I make sure I really need it! :wink:
-Sara

If you are a visual learner or jusst like to see how things may work, get the Netter SERIES, not just anatomy, but the series. I have Physiology and Neuro and it really helped in first year. I just ordered Internal Medicine and Cardiology along with OB-GYN and am looking forward to the plates Frank Netter did. I really remember what was going on when X happened.
you can get them at www.netterart.com.
All the best

My school had 14 books listed for first semester. I am not actually attending until next year (deferred for baby - 3 weeks old now and doing great). Since I am a stay at home mom for now and get a little bored with sesame street , I thought I may buy one or two books to keep my mind busy. I know I won’t need them all, but I was thinking of going ahead and getting anatomy and maybe genetics. Any suggestions?
Kathy - you will be able to use Amazon over there, I would wait and save on shipping costs if I were you!

Angie,
Congrats on the birth of your baby! Glad to hear she? he? is doing well.
Shirl

Baby Samuel is doing great. He was born July 17 at 5:46 a.m. weighing in at 8 lbs. 3 oz. and 19 inches long. Even though I am anxious to start school, I must say I am glad that I made the decision to hold off for a year. I can’t imagine starting school next week and leaving him behind this soon.

Quote:

My school had 14 books listed for first semester. I am not actually attending until next year (deferred for baby - 3 weeks old now and doing great). Since I am a stay at home mom for now and get a little bored with sesame street , I thought I may buy one or two books to keep my mind busy. I know I won’t need them all, but I was thinking of going ahead and getting anatomy and maybe genetics. Any suggestions?
Kathy - you will be able to use Amazon over there, I would wait and save on shipping costs if I were you!

Angie,
If I were you, I would hold off on buying any textbooks. First of all, editions change and you might end up having to buy a newer edition for next year. Second, many places change textbooks so you would end up with something that isn’t particularly useful. Third, one of the upperclassmen may give you their used books (I gave mine away and I received them from my big sib).
Use this time to read some books like: First Cut by Howard Carter III which follows the Emory first year medical students through Gross Anatomy. Do plenty of crosswork puzzles to keep your mind sharp. Review reactions of amines, amino acids, carboxylic acids and ketones for Biochemistry. Just reading a textbook without the lecture or syllabus material for emphasis is pretty dry and totally worthless. Even if you memorized the text, it doesn’t make much sense unless you have the class to go along with it.

Natalie

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. By the time I start school next year, I will have been out of the classroom for two years, so the thought of that makes me a little nervous. I guess that is why I was looking for a couple of books. Besides, nursing leaves lots of time to read!! I have read First Cut, Natalie, and you are right it is a good one! The suggestion to review biochem is a good one, too, and I can do that with my old textbook. Thanks again!
Angie