First Year Text Recommendations

OK, y’all!

Post your recommendations for good textbooks used during first year. Obviously, your school’s curriculum may be different, but most cover the same topics so any advice you have will likely be relevant.

Take care,
Jeff
MS-I, UTMB

Anatomy - Netter Atlas
- Rohen and Yokochi
Physiology - Broad Review Series by Linda Costanzo
Biochem - Lippincotts Biochem

be careful about buying too many books until you get to school…the MS-IIs can help bu telling you what you need and will use.

Netter Atlas (may be able to get FREE whan you join AMSA)

grant’s anatomy (or Moore Dalley, both good)

Stedman’s dictionary (AMA usually promotes joining with a free one)

Guyton Textbook of Medical Physio

Basic and Clinical pharm (Katzung)

an EKG book, whenever you get to cardio

Mosby’s guide to physical exam

I bought a some books as I needed them through amazon. they have some very good prices on used books, and the quality was good.
electra

Here are my votes:

Anatomy:
- Netter’s is mandatory. The pretty picture book (that have real picts and not just the illustrations) are also very helpful but I’d recommend them as an adjunct to Netter’s.
- Baby Moore (Clinically Oriented Anatomy or COA). The baby is the ‘lite’ version of the big book. It has less of the minutia and all of the clinically relevant ‘meat’. It also has the oh-so-testable blue boxes from the big book.

- The Board Review Series for Gross.

Biochem:
- Lippincotts, Lippinotts & more Lippincotts!
- Clinical Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple

Pharmacology:
- Katzung (Basic & Clinical Pharmacology)
- Lippincott’s
- Clinical Pharmacology Made Ridiculously Simple

Histology
-Wheater’s
-A good SSRI anti-depressant (I HATE Histo!)

Immunology
- Levinson: Medical Microbiology & Immunology: Exam & Board Review
- Abbas: Molecular & Cellular Immunology

Pathology
- The ever mandatory Robbins

Dictionary:
- Dorland’s for your desk copy.
- Stedmans —it’s free with the AMA
- if you have a Palm pilot, get the Taber’s. This is the single reference I use more than anything else. It helps to be able to take it everywhere with me.

Take care,
Jeff
MS-I, UTMB

I agree with Jeff’s recommendations re: the Levinson’s for immuno and micro (my sister says it really helps for the boards) Also with Robbins, it is what the boards uses for pictures
Histo - get your hands on a Sabotta it is the bible
I also liked Erlandson

Quote: from RWankum on 7:56 pm on Jan. 26, 2002
Histo - get your hands on a Sabotta it is the bible

So, does that mean I'm actually going to have to break down and learn some histology? If so, could someone please tell me which end of the microscope I should look into?

Thanks,
Jeff
MS-I, UTMB

Quote: from Jeff698 on 9:52 pm on Jan. 26, 2002
So, does that mean I'm actually going to have to break down and learn some histology? If so, could someone please tell me which end of the microscope I should look into?
Jeff
MS-I, UTMB

I hope not, I have purged all that worthless info months ago :shocked: