From Nursing School to Med School

Hi Everyone!

I’ve been following this forum for a while and it’s taken me some time to build the courage to finally post. :slight_smile:

So, here I am and currently enrolled in a graduate nursing program, which will lead to my RN license in two years (2018). After completing a couple of quarters, I still can’t stop thinking about one day becoming a doctor. I’ve wanted to be a doctor since I was 6 years-old (will be 30 this year). I’m the first in my fam to attend college, so the thought of taking science prereqs and applying to med school has been a bit scary. My hesitation has lead me to basically pursue other health careers and I’ve been in mental health research, clinical trials, became a Certified Nurse assistant, applied to PA and nursing school and got accepted to all schools that I applied to. My boyfriend is almost done with medical school, so I know how hard it is.

Sometimes I feel that I’ll be 40 probably by the time I finish, when will I have kids? I worry about the costs of applying and attending med school.

How did you come to the decision to pursue medicine? What advice would you give to someone who is contemplating this path?

Thank you!