From SDN Question

How useful is this?

Link

It is a good start. Of course it does not take into account your overall picture but can give you a place to start to look.

That was kind of what I was looking for.First I want to find out where I am able to get in, then I want to narrow that down to places I think will fit me.

This is going to sound dumb, but is there anywhere I can see condensed info about a school rather than going to their website. Stuff like, they only take folks from No Carolina.

Bailey

I have heard that the MSAR Guide is a must have for this kind of stuff, can get it here . Contains the relevant info about all the schools. And they also have the online format which is a bit cheaper but more interestingly provides some search and filter features. So I believe it is pretty good. The downside is that the access code for online access is valid only one year (while you keep the book forever)…

Also on SDN was available a spreadsheet. I forget the title, but maybe you can do a search around the term “LizzyM Score.” That spreadsheet already contained a good bit of data from the MSAR embedded in it. It was yanked off SDN because of copyright issues with the MSAR or something. See if you can find a copy floating online. If you don’t find one, send me a PM here.

I agree that the MSAR is an excellent resource for students. I actually purchased a the 2009-10 copy just to get an idea of the information printed in the book (by the way, I will be starting my pre-med program in the fall, so it is not too early to get a copy of the book).

The copy I purchased was only $5 (including shipping) from Amazon.com

• BaileyPup Said:
How useful is this?

Link

Just to clarify, the original link is NOT from Student Doctor Network (SDN www.studentdoctor.net), which is a non-profit website that OPM is a partner of.

This comes from www.studentdoc.com which is run by a group called Medical Resource Group, LLC . I believe that this site is run by or closely associated with the MomMD site. Information is as good or better than SDN
  • TJJ MD Said:
I agree that the MSAR is an excellent resource for students. I actually purchased a the 2009-10 copy just to get an idea of the information printed in the book (by the way, I will be starting my pre-med program in the fall, so it is not too early to get a copy of the book).

The copy I purchased was only $5 (including shipping) from Amazon.com

MSAR should be considered a Required Text for applying premeds. it gives a two page summary of every allopathic medical school

The equivalent osteopathic book is a free download from aacom

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/c ib/Pages...
  • redo-it-all Said:
Bailey

I have heard that the MSAR Guide is a must have for this kind of stuff, can get it here . Contains the relevant info about all the schools. And they also have the online format which is a bit cheaper but more interestingly provides some search and filter features. So I believe it is pretty good. The downside is that the access code for online access is valid only one year (while you keep the book forever)...

The new MSAR is split into 1) a printed copy of some of the information in previous years' version, and 2) on-line information (masses of statistics, ability to search, compare, etc.). They do not overlap, so keeping the book forever wouldn't be very useful without the on-line data. Unfortunately.

Cheers,

Judy