Genetic Basis for Alcoholism

I would like to know if there is conclusive data that there is a gene for alcoholism. I am in a class with a psychology major that swears up and down that a gene has been discovered recently linking alcoholism with a specific gene. All my search has produced the opposite. Please help. Thank you.

A quick PsychInfo search (I figured I’d go to the same source your psychology major is probably using) yielded this 2001 book:
Alcohol in health and disease. (Authors:: Agarwal, Dharam P. (Ed); Seitz, Helmut K. (Ed).) ISBN: 0824705335
It seems to include several chapters discussing this topic. From the abstract, it appears there were a number of “suspect” genes when the book was written, with the dopamine D2 receptor gene as a strong candidate, but I didn’t see any clear winners.
Be warned, this was one book, and I only skimmed the abstracts. But it might be worth an interlibrary loan request if you’re interested.
There are more articles. LOTS more, as people investigate and re-investigate the suspect genes. Have you asked a nice reference librarian to help you out? This is looking like one of those complex things where the jury is still out as far as scientists are concerned.

A few studies compared severe alcoholics to non-alcoholics and found most alcoholics have one form of the dopamine receptor while non-alcoholics had a different allele. There was overlap between the two populations. Not ALL severe alcoholics had the A1 allele of the dopamine d2 receptor (the suspect gene) and some non-alcoholics had the suspect gene, but not the alcoholism. I don't have the citation for this particular study, so I cannot comment on significant difference.
Based on these studies, it could be hypothesized that a defect in the dopamine d2 receptor is responsible for alcoholism. However, it should be noted that dopamine has been pegged as the neurotransmitter responsible for most all addictions (alcohol, opiate, cocaine, amphetamines, etc.), as well as; depression, obsessive-compulsive behavior, bulimia, Cerebral Palsy, Schizophrenia, Parkinson's, ADHD, Tourette's, sex drive, and some types of sleep disorders. With so many diseases rooted in dopamine defects, saying a defective dopamine receptor is THE cause of alcoholism is premature and very misleading. Alcoholism is a complex combination of behavioral characteristics, most probably controlled by a number of genes AND environmental factors.
While my knowledge about the genetic basis of alcoholism is greatly limited, the dopamine receptor gene is the only gene that I have seen repeatedly named as defective in alcoholics. Do you know which gene your classmate was referring to as THE gene that causes alcoholism?
Hope this helps
– Rachel

No, this student is one of those people that love to spout off information to look cool. He is constantly trying to upstage the professor and he is a royal pain in the a$$. He does this all the time to the point that the professor had to urge him to stop doing so. My concern is that many students may believe that this is correct, and start using this information with some of their clients, this is as class geared for folks going into wellness promotion. So, I have to make sure that they understand the difference between having a defective gene that will express itself with the alcoholic phenotype, versus like what you said, the interactions of environmental, behavioral, possibly genetic polymorphisms, etc. that could possibly have some effect in someone into being predisposed to this disease. Thank you so much!

QUOTE (efex @ Jan 16 2003, 07:54 AM)
My concern is that many students may believe that this is correct, and start using this information with some of their clients...

Understanding the mechanisms, genetic and environmental components, and susceptibility of alcoholism may help with prevention and intervention. However, in the end alcoholics are alcoholics because they drink alcohol. Even proof that alcoholism has a genetic component won't make much difference in treatment options. Prove to an alcoholic that s/he is that way because of genetics - the best treatment option is NEVER take another drink of alcohol. Or prove to an alcoholic that s/he is that way because of her/his choices/environment - the best treatment option is NEVER take another drink of alcohol.
QUOTE (efex @ Jan 16 2003, 07:54 AM)

So, I have to make sure that they understand the difference between having a defective gene that will express itself with the alcoholic phenotype...

Okay, I am compelled to ask. Why is it your responsibility to see to it that your fellow classmates believe you and not the "royal pain in the a$$?"
You cannot control what other people believe, nor whom they trust. If this guy is really as big an @$$ as you say, your classmates have already formed an opinion about him and the validity of his assertions.
If you're really interested in understanding alcoholism, find a way to work with some alcoholics. You will have a much greater impact on society if you're out helping an alcoholic find a way to recover than trying to convince your classmates about the science behind alcoholism.
-- Rachel
Prove to an alcoholic that s/he is that way because of genetics - the best treatment option is NEVER take another drink of alcohol. Or prove to an alcoholic that s/he is that way because of her/his choices/environment - the best treatment option is NEVER take another drink of alcohol.

...and I think even this assumption is undergoing testing. There seem to be some rumblings that treatment programs bent on reducing alcohol consumption may be more effective.
What is it the Red Queen said? Something like, "In this country, you have to run as fast as you can just to stay in one place."
Oh, and I agree with Duck. Let the professor deal with the overhelpful student. It's sometimes fun to ask to see a copy of the study this student is quoting, or ask about the methodology of the study, but it doesn't really fix anything. It just prolongs the interruption.

Oh, the professor asked the whole class for help in rounding up research regarding this issue. Even he was not 100% sure of what the current status on this is, so we are all trying to find the latest and greatest to do this. I feel compelled to help out because these folks will go out and say whatever to a client (possibly doing more harm), and I see it as my responsibilty to (in any way I can) make sure that they know what is out there regarding this issue and then they can go and make an informed decision about what to tell clients. I do not want to just let it go because the guy is an ass and the class will know better, some do not know any better. Thanks guys.

QUOTE (efex101 @ Jan 19 2003, 10:23 AM)
[snipped]
they [need] know what is out there regarding this issue and then they can go and make an informed decision about what to tell clients.

Have you considered trying to contact Alcoholics Anonymous or a local alcohol/drug treatment center? I would guess that neither AA nor a treatment facility would be up to date on all the science stuff behind alcoholism, but both would be able to answer a number of questions about treatment options. If your professor were receptive to the idea, I would think a panel discussion with AA and treatment counselors would be a fabulous idea for this class you're taking.
I do not remember where you are going to school, so your options for a panel discussion may be limited. However, if you're interested in trying this route and would like some help on finding out how to contact Alcoholics Anonymous or your local treatment facilities, feel free to PM or email me. I'll help you all I can.
Hope this helps
-- Rachel

Rachel thanks, that is a great idea. I will ask the professor, you never know he may be totally receptive to something like this. I will talk to him on Wed and see what he has to say.

try looking up the info in PubMed (you can use a google search to find the site) its also free
i sugest using the preview feature. keep using combinations of key words to get close to the topic. i'm pretty sure you'll come up w some recent stuff on the subject
good luck

try looking up the info in PubMed (you can use a google search to find the site) its also free
i sugest using the preview feature. keep using combinations of key words to get close to the topic. i'm pretty sure you'll come up w some recent stuff on the subject
good luck

i sugest using the preview feature. keep using combinations of key words to get close to the topic. i’m pretty sure you’ll come up w some recent stuff on the subject
good luck

i sugest using the preview feature. keep using combinations of key words to get close to the topic. i’m pretty sure you’ll come up w some recent stuff on the subject
good luck

good luck

good luck

I would hold Rachel's statment true to a number of diseases, including the research on obesity and breast cancer. Many factors often play into the development of a disease. You just have to see another athlete drop dead from a heart attack to know its more than HTN, cholesterol, etc that leads to MIs.
Kathy