Georgia State Informal Post Bacc (too spread out?)

Hi all

I’m 30yo and work in finance. I graduated from Emory in 2009 with a degree in business and a 3.5 having taken most of the premed classes. I decided to pursue business, have always regretted it, and here I am!

I am considering quitting my job and starting a post bacc program at GSU this summer. Here’s how it would look, roughly:

Summer:

Chem 1

Psychology

Fall:

Chem 2

Physics 1

Spring:

Organic 1

Physics 2

Summer:

Organic 2

Bio 1

Fall:

Bio 2

Biochemistry

Spring: MCAT and apply

So 5 semesters total, and I would use my free time to take an EMT course, work part time as an EMT, volunteer, shadow, take care of my son, etc.

How does this sound? I am worried that, due to my less than stellar undergraduate GPA, med schools will want to see a more rigourous course load in my post bacc, to prove that I can handle it. What do you think? Is 2 classes at a time while amassing extracurriculars and working part time enough? Or should I stretch myself more?

A 3.5 isn’t terrible…

2 questions for you. 1) Do you really want to repeat all of the classes you finished in undergrad? 2) If it were a more accelerated program, would that benefit you or destroy your ability for school-life balance?

If you haven’t thought about finances yet, you may want to look into what type of loans are available for a non-degree seeking part-time student as well.

@Kennymac wrote:

A 3.5 isn’t terrible…

2 questions for you. 1) Do you really want to repeat all of the classes you finished in undergrad? 2) If it were a more accelerated program, would that benefit you or destroy your ability for school-life balance?

If you haven’t thought about finances yet, you may want to look into what type of loans are available for a non-degree seeking part-time student as well.

Thanks for the help!

1. Yes. Both for admissions committees and also for the MCAT, as it has been 10+ years since I have taken them.

2. This is kind of my question…Would it benefit me? It would make school/life balance harder, for sure, but if it was worth it I would do it. Also, it can’t really be done any faster than 5 semesters at Georgia State, due to the sequencing of the classes. So the alternative is to add in another 1-2 classes per semester, becoming full time.

Thanks !