Give up my career? Start over at 33? You bet!

Hi all: I am new to this site. It is great to know I’m not out of my mind to want to jettison a satisfying career to start on the med school path this far into my adult life.
Anyway, I want to introduce myself and share where I’m coming from.
At this point, I am looking for a postbac program that will offer me small classes and lots of support. I am a decent student, with a 3.3 GPA undergrad and close to a 4.0 in my MA program. But in high school and college I avoided math and science, just because I was more interested in literature and history. And playing.
After graduating with an English BA in '96 from Boise State U, I spent several years underemployed. Five of them were as a clerk in the X-Ray dept of a large hospital. At that point, I started thinking I would like to be a doctor. But daunted by my lack of background, and unaware that there was such a thing as a postbac program, I decided to become a high school teacher instead. We all take detours!
After taking courses for certification, I taught English and Spanish for 3 years. Then, realizing I really wanted to be in medicine, I made an abrupt and very wise career shift. I now am a medical writer, making evidence based medicine understandable for “the average Joe.” I work with all kinds of doctors every day and get paid well to read medical research and learn cool stuff. I am amazed at how much I love the medicine and the people I work with!
But now I am ready to give it up to become a physician myself. I am just now finishing an MA in eduction–just in time to go back to being an undergrad all over again.
I wish I could go to med school tomorrow. But I have to swallow my pride (and fear of failing) and take the math and science courses I missed. This will mean risking so much–a cross country move, more student loans, probable separation from my significant other, and the lurking possibility deep down that somehow I could fail at this in spite of my best efforts.
But I do know I am tougher, less distracted, more focused, better organized, and less intimidated by anything at all than I ever have been. And I know that not going for it will ultimately weigh on me far worse than any hard work or humbling experiences.
I have a lot of work to do at this point, and I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom about choosing and getting into the right postbac program. Here are some things I am thinking about:
1. I have not had any college math at all; and just enough to graduate from high school. My plan right now is to instruct myself in algebra with the help of a tutor for the next few months. My goal is to test into precalculus, but not take it until I get into a postbac program. Is this needed for most postbac programs? Or are there good programs I can get into right now without worrying right now about math?
2. My SAT scores (from 1989) are not too bad, but not great either. I am currently studying for the GRE. How much do SAT and GRE scores figure into postbac admission? Is this step needed?
3. Will I be able to borrow enough money to pay for school, either through federal or private loans? At this point, I am willing to rack up debt if I get into an expensive school that provides me with what I need to succeed.
4. What should I look for in a postbac program? Some things I think would help me: smaller classes, lots of tutoring help, a postbac community, as many courses as possible not taught with undergrads, a strong linkage program. Other things I should look for?
Thanks for your advice…and wish me luck!

Quote:

1. I have not had any college math at all; and just enough to graduate from high school. My plan right now is to instruct myself in algebra with the help of a tutor for the next few months. My goal is to test into precalculus, but not take it until I get into a postbac program. Is this needed for most postbac programs? Or are there good programs I can get into right now without worrying right now about math?

You will need a good grip of algebra in order to take general chemistry and physics. Most schools will have college algebra as a pre-req to take either of those courses. There is also a trend among some medical schools to require a semester of calculus. At the very list, you should make sure that you have a firm grip on algebra. Check the MSAR to see if any of the med schools you are interested in require calculus.
Quote:

2. My SAT scores (from 1989) are not too bad, but not great either. I am currently studying for the GRE. How much do SAT and GRE scores figure into postbac admission? Is this step needed?

I’m surprised you didn’t have to take the GRE for graduate school. I honestly don’t know what formal postbac programs require for admission. However, you DON’T have to do a formal postbac program in order to take the med school pre-reqs. You can either pretend to be seeking a second undergrad degree in bio or chem or enroll at any university as a non-degree student. I have a similar background as you. I taught HS Spanish for 10 years, did my MEd during my last two years, then quit my job to go back to school full time. I took most of my pre-reqs as a continuing ed non-degree student at the local branch of the university. Is there some reason you are determined to do a formal postbac? Never mind - I just read #4 again.
Quote:

3. Will I be able to borrow enough money to pay for school, either through federal or private loans? At this point, I am willing to rack up debt if I get into an expensive school that provides me with what I need to succeed.

Yes, you can get federal loans if you are taking courses required for admission to a professional program. These are limited to 12 consecutive months. Not enough for most people to get through all their pre-reqs (unless in an accelarated postbac). You can get aid for a longer time by declaring another undergrad major (even if you have no intentions if actually finishing it).
Quote:

4. What should I look for in a postbac program? Some things I think would help me: smaller classes, lots of tutoring help, a postbac community, as many courses as possible not taught with undergrads, a strong linkage program. Other things I should look for?

Smaller classes are good. However, you don’t have to do a formal program to get those. Why are you opposed to taking classes that don’t have undergrads? Personally, I think it is very valuable to be taking classes with the same people that you will be competing with for a spot in medical school. While there are obvious advantages to formal programs with linkages, there may be some you haven’t thought of. These courses will be far more competitive than the same course with regular undergrad students (especially the ones with competitive admissions to even get in the program). There has also been some discussion that the reason some postbac programs can show they have such a high percentage of their “grads” getting into med school is that they find a way to weed people out before they ever apply. I’m not knocking post-bac programs - a lot of people have used formal programs successfully as a path to medical school. I just want you to be aware that you CAN get into medical school without spending the money on one (and moving across the country for one), which leads me to another thought - formal programs can be expensive.
I will let someone who has done a formal program speak to the advantages/disadvantages of them.
Oh - and Good luck!!!

Re: Give up my career? Start over at 33? You bet!
Wow–
It is inspiring to see someone with such a similar background: same age, degree, similar work history. I currently teach high school English and know for sure I am supposed to be doing something else (for instance, I’m supposed to be grading Beowulf essays but instead I am on the OP forums). I started in healthcare–EMT, community health education, and athletic training. Still not sure why I left . . .
I’ve checked into a few post bac programs–most in PA since that is where I think I am headed within the next year. Some require the GRE (just received my Kaplan exam book a couple days ago), others do not. I have an MEd, but like you, did not have to take the GRE to enter the program (met the grade requirements). I started here: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ to get info on programs. I’m looking into Bryn Mawr and Penn. VERY expensive, but like you, I like what they have to offer.
I completely understand about wanting to start med school right away. That is another reason I like some of the post bac programs–some have linking programs with med schools and allow you to skip the glide year and start school right after your pre-reqs are done–you must be highly qualified, of course. But again, like you, here is to hoping that being “tougher, less distracted, more focused, better organized, and less intimidated by anything at all” makes it all possible.
Good luck and keep posting!