Glad to be here!

Hello! I am a 26 yr old wife and mother of a 6yr old girl and one year old boy. I have been pursuing my dream of med school since high school, but was deterred because of a teenage pregnancy. I sought out a more “mommy-friendly” career and now teach high school calculus. It hit me one day that my children will not always be here and I will have 25-30 years of work left in me working in a field I settled for. I am set to begin a DIY post bac program in the spring and extremely excited! I’m currently a closet pre med because I do not need the negativity about my career choice from family. Anyhow, I am very excited to be here and looking forward to contribute to this forum in a positive way!

Congratulations on your beginning, and welcome!! We are so glad you decided to share your journey with us. Best of luck in the spring, and keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome! I too have two littles, and am doing a DIY post-bac for the last year and 3 months. It’s not always easy–working, parenting, and going to school–ok mostly it’s not easy at all–but I just take a day at a time and do it! I’m in no rush and that helps me too!

Thank you carrieliz and aledvina27 for the welcome! Thank you for reminding me that there should not be any rush and to get everything right the first time. It’s a marathon and not a sprint.

Best of luck to you ladies in beginning med school and applying!

Good for you!! Feeling like you have settled is disheartening and it takes a lot of strength to get the changes going. I’ve never heard anyone else use the term “closet pre-med” before, but it’s perfect - I feel the EXACT same way! What happened to families wishing and praying that their children would want to be doctors? At some point you have to stop trying convince other people to agree with your goals and just plow ahead!

Amen! Welcome aboard!

I spent the week with in-laws and while my MIL & FIL were onboard my BIL was schizo. He asked questions about our plans and then would interrupt with completely arbitrary comments about anything else. It was rather strange. Had another family member tell me "I don’t think you’ll make it. I don’t think you’re going to do any of this stuff UNLESS you set your mind to it. The latter part of the statement was their “motivation.” Years past I would’ve been baited into arguing but now that I’m pursuing my dream I realize that the average person hasn’t and has given up. So there is a lot of anger, jealousy, bitterness…toward those who are pursuing their dream or pursued it. That comes from family, church folk, friends…you name it. Stay the course. It really doesn’t matter what anyone says but what you believe to be true about yourself and proving that to yourself everyday.

Nylorac- You are absolutely right! We both will have to stop worrying about what others think and pursue what we know is right. Great advice!

Croooz- it’s rather sad that family would make statements like that. They are the ones that are supposed to be there for you and be your biggest supporters. Oh well, just make sure you send them an invite to your graduation when you become a doctor!

Croooz–I laughed when I read your family’s response, because I have SO heard that. When I found out we were having a baby, so many people basically said, “Aw, man…I guess that means the end of the school dream, huh?” (In a tone that said they never really believed I’d do it anyway.)

So I have to share this with you guys. When I got my first acceptance last month, a coworker sent me the following email. She was gone from her home Mon-Fri for the first 6 months of her daughter’s life, and it tore her to pieces… but it was a big-picture decision they made as a family, and it was what was best for them at the time. She faced a lot of naysayers and people throwing guilt her way, so I know she’s been there. Let me just pass on her encouragement to you guys as well… This journey we are on, especially when we have established lives, families, careers, etc., is an insane one, and a lot of people won’t understand. But you get it. Your spouse gets it. And you are following a calling… So, as we say in the South? Bless their hearts…they just don’t get it.

“Very few women have the opportunity that you are about to undertake. I know you will make a wonderful doctor, but remember you already are a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, friend…… You have a very special gift, and I know you will make it through this adventure with flying colors. I know some of the struggles you will face. There will always be a few naysayers who will question you as to why and how you are reaching for your dreams. Smile at them and do not let one thing they say or do enter your mind. Remember, those who complain are just too lazy, scared, or too self-centered to reach for their dreams.

Just as you have touched my life by simply being you, you will touch many others. You are giving so many young women a GREAT example of following dreams and reaching for the stars (especially your 3 special daughters–what a legacy you are giving them!) God has given you a gift. In fact, He has given you many. Embrace it. Rejoice in it. Run with it…and don’t you EVER listen to anyone who tries to tell you any different.”

The truly sad part is they would swear they are 100% supportive. However this is nothing new and I would be the insane one to think they would respond any differently. Our first house was a beautiful, new house and they never came to visit. Even when they came to town we would all cram into our MIL 2 bedroom condo because our 3600 square foot house was “out of the way” for them… yet they had to pass our exit to get to our MIL.

so jealously and envy aren’t bound by familial bonds. The joke is everyone who receives an invitation from me this far out my wife jokes is code for “this joker doesn’t think we’re gonna make it.”

Pray for them, wipe your feet, and keep it moving!

• carrieliz Said:
Croooz--I laughed when I read your family's response, because I have SO heard that. When I found out we were having a baby, so many people basically said, “Aw, man…I guess that means the end of the school dream, huh?” (In a tone that said they never really believed I’d do it anyway.)

So I have to share this with you guys. When I got my first acceptance last month, a coworker sent me the following email. She was gone from her home Mon-Fri for the first 6 months of her daughter's life, and it tore her to pieces… but it was a big-picture decision they made as a family, and it was what was best for them at the time. She faced a lot of naysayers and people throwing guilt her way, so I know she's been there. Let me just pass on her encouragement to you guys as well... This journey we are on, especially when we have established lives, families, careers, etc., is an insane one, and a lot of people won't understand. But you get it. Your spouse gets it. And you are following a calling... So, as we say in the South? Bless their hearts...they just don't get it.

"Very few women have the opportunity that you are about to undertake. I know you will make a wonderful doctor, but remember you already are a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, friend….. You have a very special gift, and I know you will make it through this adventure with flying colors. I know some of the struggles you will face. There will always be a few naysayers who will question you as to why and how you are reaching for your dreams. Smile at them and do not let one thing they say or do enter your mind. Remember, those who complain are just too lazy, scared, or too self-centered to reach for their dreams.

Just as you have touched my life by simply being you, you will touch many others. You are giving so many young women a GREAT example of following dreams and reaching for the stars (especially your 3 special daughters--what a legacy you are giving them!) God has given you a gift. In fact, He has given you many. Embrace it. Rejoice in it. Run with it...and don’t you EVER listen to anyone who tries to tell you any different."

Amen, amen, & amen!!!!