going back fro pre-med...1 year or two?

Hello all…I have a bit of a dilemna and I figured the great folks here could give me some advice…

I’m about to head back to school to complete my pre-med requirements and get ready for the MCAT. I already hold an undergrad degree in Information Systems. I’m trying to decide between:

A) Go back starting in May 2007. Take Chem I and Chem II during the summer, and then two full time semesters of Organic, Bio, and Physics. Take MCAT in April 2008. This would be the quickest time period possible, but I wonder how Med Schools will look at Inorganic Chem I & II as 6 week long summer classes?

B) Start in September 2007. Go for two full years, taking the MCAT in January 2009/April 2009. I could spread the classes out a bit more, and I could take some additional courses (Anatomy, Physiology, Micro, Biochem). I also would get some financial benefits from my current job (more stock options, 100% vesting in my 401K, another few months of savings).

I am funding my post bac out of pocket with money I have saved the past few years, and I will be waitering for extra cash while I go back to school. 29, single, with no kids.

OK…so any thoughts? Is it worth taking the extra classes for a second year, or should I just try to get the pre-req’s/MCAT prep completed as fast as possible?

• FutureEmedDr Said:
Hello all...I have a bit of a dilemna and I figured the great folks here could give me some advice...

I'm about to head back to school to complete my pre-med requirements and get ready for the MCAT. I already hold an undergrad degree in Information Systems. I'm trying to decide between:

A) Go back starting in May 2007. Take Chem I and Chem II during the summer, and then two full time semesters of Organic, Bio, and Physics. Take MCAT in April 2008. This would be the quickest time period possible, but I wonder how Med Schools will look at Inorganic Chem I & II as 6 week long summer classes?

B) Start in September 2007. Go for two full years, taking the MCAT in January 2009/April 2009. I could spread the classes out a bit more, and I could take some additional courses (Anatomy, Physiology, Micro, Biochem). I also would get some financial benefits from my current job (more stock options, 100% vesting in my 401K, another few months of savings).

I am funding my post bac out of pocket with money I have saved the past few years, and I will be waitering for extra cash while I go back to school. 29, single, with no kids.

OK...so any thoughts? Is it worth taking the extra classes for a second year, or should I just try to get the pre-req's/MCAT prep completed as fast as possible?

Hi and welcome

First off take these courses at a UNI, then do not rush this, this is a "marathon" as OldMan Dave has said over and over. Getting the best grades possible should be the worry not the time, since there really is no "Redo" on these things, the classes or the MCAT. Taking chem 1 with lab would be enough for the summer to start then go for the Chem 2 and other courses in the fall, is my thought. Really you need to have a balance between heavy courses and Light courses.

If it was me and the GPA was good already I would just do the preqs and explain how I wanted to go Medschool now, it seems you have enough to do.

Good luck.
  • FutureEmedDr Said:

Hi, FrEMedDr,

Option (A) is feasible; there's nothing wrong with taking Chem in the summer. However, you don't leave much margin for error. Bio, Orgo, and Physics together with labs is a huge commitment, and to squeeze MCAT prep in there as well. If you're really confident of your ability to absorb the material and get top grades, this path will work for you.

But I would pick option (B) because you can digest the material over a longer time, get some extra science courses in, and make more money. You're young; an extra year doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, though undoubtedly you're eager to get going.

Keep in mind also that a summer course has a relentless schedule, probably an exam every week if it's like mine was. You will not want to get even one day behind or you may never catch up. Taken over 8-9 months, you have the luxury of falling a few days behind and still catching up.

Best of luck!

Hello FutureDr!

As I read your post, it reminded me so much of the state of mind I was in 18 months ago.

I too, confident in my prior degree, and confident in my learning ability, had a real ‘itch’ to get things moving at a good pace.

In addition to the courses you mention, I also had Cal (I & II) on the list.

I eventually decided to do it over the course of 3 full-time semesters. The benefits being:

1. demonstrate to adcoms (and myself) I could still (age 50) hack a full time load;

2. do all pre-reqs plus a few ‘nice-to-haves’: molec. bio (a killer course for me, but I did pull off an A!), histo, physiology

3. I also snuck-in a German litterature (400 level) course just for fun;

Looking back, I would do it exactly the same! Having taken 44 credits over 3 semesters, I have really gotten my head back into the ‘academic space’. Now that my applications are in, I am only enrolled in one course (Physiology II, which is just sooooooooo coool - cardio-vascular, endocrine, respiratory, renal, digestive) for the shear pleasure. This course will not be a factor in my application process. I am also in the process of buying a home - an important reason for ratcheting down the course load.

Do not underestimate the effort & time req’d to complete labs/assignments.

Being in Quebec, our French language system does not use MCATs - so that is one hurdle I do not have to deal with.

I’ve applied to 3 schools for the Sept. 2007 semester, and am awaiting calls for interviews.

Good luck to you!

Ron

Thanks to everyone for the replies. While I’m pretty confident I COULD do it in one year, I’m beginning to feel better about doing it in two (it’s a marathon not a sprint - GREAT advice for me to remember). I won’t be working full time, but I’ll have to work enough to survive. Throwing that in with MCAT prep sounds like it would be murderous - and I guess that can wait for actual med school, right?

I’m also considering taking some Spanish classes. Not only should this be a good boost to my overall GPA, but I could see how improving my Spanish could be helpful later on.

Oh - and I will be going to the University of Central Florida. Moved down a year ago to establish Florida residency so it will be pretty cheap.

Best of luck to you too Ron. I’ll be crossing my fingers for you.

• FutureEmedDr Said:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. While I'm pretty confident I COULD do it in one year, I'm beginning to feel better about doing it in two (it's a marathon not a sprint - GREAT advice for me to remember). I won't be working full time, but I'll have to work enough to survive. Throwing that in with MCAT prep sounds like it would be murderous - and I guess that can wait for actual med school, right?

I'm also considering taking some Spanish classes. Not only should this be a good boost to my overall GPA, but I could see how improving my Spanish could be helpful later on.

Oh - and I will be going to the University of Central Florida. Moved down a year ago to establish Florida residency so it will be pretty cheap.

Best of luck to you too Ron. I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

I agree with the advice of everyone else, it's certainly best to take your time so you make sure you don't overload yourself. Good luck! Nice to see another future ER doc. I can't wait to start working as an EMT, let alone in the ED as a physician.
  • FutureEmedDr Said:
Hello all...I have a bit of a dilemna and I figured the great folks here could give me some advice...

I'm about to head back to school to complete my pre-med requirements and get ready for the MCAT. I already hold an undergrad degree in Information Systems. I'm trying to decide between:

OK...so any thoughts? Is it worth taking the extra classes for a second year, or should I just try to get the pre-req's/MCAT prep completed as fast as possible?

Hi, and welcome. I'm actually going to UCF right now, so I might be able to help a bit.

I think either route would be feasable for you, and it comes down to which you prefer. If you do the two year plan, would you be going to school full time for both years? If so, that may be the best course.

I'd probably recommend against the one year approach, even though that's most similar to what I'm doing now. I got a few classes done at SCC while working full-time, took Bio I over the summer, and in Fall 06 started going to UCF full-time, dropping work to once a week. My main concern this point is that one year of full-time school won't be enough to demonstrate my abilities to the adcoms; we'll see how that goes, eh?

I took Bio I over the summer while working full time. It took time, but it was manageable, and I did have enough time to process and really learn.

Based on the pace of that, I'd imagine that Chem I/II would be doable.

The pre-med advisement office at UCF doesn't recommend taking Bio II (as it focuses on botany and whatnot), so you may want to replace that with a higher level Biology course (which as I understand, most schools are OK with).

For the first semester of Organic, you won't have a lab. There's a 6 hour lab associated with Organic II, but you don't have to take them at the same time - many people do split them up, and take the lab over the summer or something.

Also keep in mind that there are more options for the MCAT now. For example, I intend to take it July 2007, which should give me some dedicated study time after this semester.

You'll also have a "glide year" between when you apply and when you (hopefully) matriculate. Right now, I plan on using that time to take courses like Biochem - the same may work for you.

All that said, based on my understanding of the coursework and expectations, I think the one year plan would probably be doable. However, if you're the patient type, the two year plan may be better -- it would allow you to take more coureswork, spend more time proving yourself, and you'd have less time pressure.

Anyway, I'm happy to provide more info if you'd like Take care!

I started at the same age–29–and took three years from beginning to end–two years of coursework while also working, and used the year in which I was applying to med schools to work in a lab, which (as I just posted elsewhere) was a great experience. I definitely give you permission to take two years which it sounds like you’re leaning towards. I think it’s really important to enjoy the process of learning and not just look at the courses as a means to an end, so having the time to do other things you’re interested in–whether it’s extra courses or doing health outreach and education to Spanish-speaking communities or working on a research project or whatever–will make the process even more interesting and also help your med school interview and application process a lot.

j