GPA feedback

I have a 3.9 undergrad/2 4.0s for 2 master’s degrees. I’m a non-grad in a post-bacc program; I’ve never had collegiate-level sciences (tested out of science for undergrad…15 years ago!). My science GPA is a 3.6 after 1 semester. Am I still in a good place with GPA? Will this show academic regression or will the time lapse between science classes in HS and now be considered? Will I have any leeway in the GPA/MCAT arena? Thanks for any feedback you may have

Good Evening,

Let me make sure I understand this straight.

" I’ve never had collegiate-level sciences (tested out of science for undergrad…15 years ago!)."

So you have never taken the college level science courses?

I am by far no expert, but I believe you need college level courses with in 10 years to qualify.

But to be exact you could look up the medical schools that you are interested in and research their medical school admission standards. The majority of them have the information spelled out on their website.

Thanks

Jason

Sorry, I was unclear…

I am currently in a post-bacc program getting my pre-reqs…

• 33md2b Said:
I have a 3.9 undergrad/2 4.0s for 2 master's degrees. I'm a non-grad in a post-bacc program; I've never had collegiate-level sciences (tested out of science for undergrad...15 years ago!). My science GPA is a 3.6 after 1 semester. Am I still in a good place with GPA? Will this show academic regression or will the time lapse between science classes in HS and now be considered? Will I have any leeway in the GPA/MCAT arena? Thanks for any feedback you may have

Here's my perspective:

While a 3.6 GPA is not bad, it's not great, when it comes to applying to medical school. Especially in those introductory courses (which I am guessing is what you are taking right now, in your first semester of a post-bac), it's important to do very well. It's not a matter of showing academic regression, exactly, but a matter of showing whether you can handle hard sciences. My unsolicited suggestion is to look at WHY you are not getting A's, and make some adjustments if you can. Is it your study skills? The material itself? The exams? Taking too many credit hours? Trying to balance work with school? Other life stresses? Clearly, you did amazingly well (congrats!) in your initial undergrad and master's degrees, so you are an excellent student. Determine why the transition to the sciences is not going as smoothly.

As for your other questions, regarding leeway and the time lapse, the answer is NO, in my opinion. Admissions committee members don't care whether you went straight from high school into science courses or took 15 years in between. They don't care whether you were a biology major or an English major when they look at your MCAT score. They just look at that GPA and that MCAT score and make their evaluation. Where you can shine as a non-traditional student is in your personal statement and extracurricular activities, showing a diversity of experiences, skills, knowledge, etc. It's not JUST about numbers, but those are incredibly important.

Hope that helps! Keep us posted on your progress ...