GPA when you re-take courses

I got some C’s in my undergrad science courses, but when I got serious about med school took them and got two A’s and a B. (yey!) My question is, how do I calculate this into my science GPA?

There’s a pre-med counselor at the school where I’m currently pursuing an MPH but she’s been nothing but distressing for me, so if someone here can help with this I’d appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

The original course and the retake are both figured into your cumulative GPA. So, effectively, the grades are averaged (assuming the courses were the same number of hours both times you took them).

For allopathic schools, they’re all averaged in.

For osteopathic, I believe they see them all, but they calculate based on the newest.

IMHO, don’t sweat the GPA calculations too too much. Just be sure to do your best, show your passion, and make yourself a competitive applicant. Had I sweat the numbers (GPA) I might never have applied

Gluck!

Thanks for responding!

Adam, I’m glad to hear the “don’t sweat it,” because recently I’ve been getting VERY worried about this. I’m also really glad to hear that osteopathic schools calculate on the newest grades. I’m still debating, but strongly considering osteopathic, and if my newest grades are used in the calculations, then I have a very competitive GPA!

Glad to hear it, catherine

FYI, when I applied (and was accepted @ allopathic schools, the only type I was shooting for), I had a cumulative 3.0 GPA. This was after a lot of work to bring it up from the 2.5 it was when I got my initial Bachelor’s.

Did my low GPA (and the highlights of my problems in the past) keep me from some schools? Probably. But it still wouldn’t have paid to sweat the details of that one number - especially because it’s not something that I can legitimately change (not going to get 2 more Bachelors just to bring it up to “competitive” ;)). All I did was all I could do: my best at the challenges in front of me today.

Which reminds me to get back to my studying. Good luck!

• catherineL Said:
I got some C's in my undergrad science courses, but when I got serious about med school took them and got two A's and a B. (yey!) My question is, how do I calculate this into my science GPA?

There's a pre-med counselor at the school where I'm currently pursuing an MPH but she's been nothing but distressing for me, so if someone here can help with this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Pre-med advisors seem to be congenitally incapable of encouragement. (except for our own Judy Colwell, of course!)

Just ignore them and follow your best instincts. If your GPA is over 3.0 you will be considered by most med schools. If you're not happy with your GPA, take another year to take some more science or other course work and boost it. But as Adam says, at some point you have to use what you've got. Doing well on the MCAT will open a lot of doors, too.

Good point - I’m sure not going to complete another whole bachelor’s degree just to bring my GPA up a tenth or two of a point! =)

My big focus right now is the MCAT. I’m planning to take it in August or Sept. (and apply for med school 2011). However, I’m strongly considering taking another semester of chem both for review and to add in to my not quite stellar GPA.

Thanks, everyone!

I recently spoke to an advisor and was thoroughly discouraged because of my gpa. However, after reading the posts in this forum, I feel like there is a chance, a glimmer of hope.

THANKS ALL!!

By the way, is anyone attending the conference in June? Has anyone attended one in the past? I have to watch what I spend since I am saving up money to return to school.

How beneficial is the conference? What sort of information may I acquire from there that I could not find else where? Would it be beneficial to network with some of the people?

With a family and a mortgage, I really need to way the benefits vs. cost.

• IT Guy Said:
By the way, is anyone attending the conference in June? Has anyone attended one in the past?

How beneficial is the conference? What sort of information may I acquire from there that I could not find else where? Would it be beneficial to network with some of the people?

The conference is priceless. You'll get a lot of questions answered + meet people who've been there before you. You'll find some inspiration, motivation and more! + you'll have lots of fun!

I've attended the conference 3 times so far (2 of them in DC - and luckily for me I live not too far)... and I'm so disappointed that I might not be able to make it this year with my tight board-review schedule - but I'll do my best!

It's totally worth it! So if you can spare some $$ it's a great investment.

Kasia

I agree w/ Kasia

Thanks Kasia and Adam! Hope to see you both there.

Joe