Grad School Programs questions?

Hello,

Just have a little quick question. I know that to apply to med school one needs to submit every single grade that one has acquired throughout their academic history. But I was wandering about other grad programs wether be an MBA, Law Degree, Biology Degree or whatever, do they require the same as med school or what processes do they go through. The reason I ask this is because I want to go to a graduate program before applying to med school. Any one know? Thank you.

I’m not really sure, Monkey. What makes you want to do a grad degree prior to med school? Might you be intersted in something like a joint MD/PhD, MD/MPH, or MD/MBA program?

Well I mostly want to do it since I have sort of a bad academic record so I kinda want to get more upper level classes and also more classes to raise my GPA. Just thinking of maybe a master or something.

You are probably better off doing upper UNDERGRADUATE level science courses than a masters degree unless you do a SMP or hard science masters degree. Generally speaking, masters courses/degrees are not given the same weight as undergraduate courses by adcoms and will not do much to prove your academic ability to them.

If your primary goal is to show adcoms you are capable of doing well in med school, then I agree with Emergency, do upper undergrad science courses. Do well in those upper undergrad courses, EC’s, volunteering, whatever is required of your desired list of med schools and their requirements.

If you are looking for a graduate level work, pi1304’s suggestion may be up your alley of a combined MD/XX program.

I wouldn’t think it prudent to do a JD, unless you have aspirations to work in an area that focuses on law and medicine together…that is unless you are like another post, you are already in law school and are interested in medicine, then I would say complete the JD.

Good luck Monkey.

So this is just a random question, but if I was to stay let say an extra semester to take more high level sciences, maybe minor in something, would that look better than graduating and going to grad school?

Since you have an undergraduate degree in ME (had to reference your original post…), you wouldn’t persay need to “graduate.” You are already in the biology department, correct? If so, it may be wise to spend the few bones and time to take an extra semester of upper level undergrad classes.

You wouldn’t need to minor in anything, unless your last few classes meet the requirements to obtain a minor…then heck, why not since you are already there!

Good luck Monkey.

YEP,

You must submit EVERYTHING, imagine the surprise of the clerk at Maxwell Air Force Base (repository for records for “the Community College of the Air Force”), when I requested the transcript for the THREE credits I got while going through basic training WAY back in 1981!

Richard

heh, that sucks, I wish I didn’t have to do that… but what can I do. Also I’ve heard that you can replace you grades when applying to DO schools is that true, and if it is there a limit or restrictions on what you can replace? and one other thing I’ve been wanting to go abroad for sometime. I the program that I am interested in is a pre-med program in russia, I would probably lose a semester in school by doing the program since I would be doing research and internships and some classes, but I doubt that it’ll be bio and chem, I guess what I am wondering is if its bad if I take too long to graduate from my undergrad? even if it means that I am getting more experience in other places and trying to take extra classes?

• Chunky Monkey Said:
heh, that sucks, I wish I didn't have to do that... but what can I do. Also I've heard that you can replace you grades when applying to DO schools is that true, and if it is there a limit or restrictions on what you can replace? and one other thing I've been wanting to go abroad for sometime. I the program that I am interested in is a pre-med program in russia, I would probably lose a semester in school by doing the program since I would be doing research and internships and some classes, but I doubt that it'll be bio and chem, I guess what I am wondering is if its bad if I take too long to graduate from my undergrad? even if it means that I am getting more experience in other places and trying to take extra classes?

I'm a bit confused as to where you are going to do your pre-med work, Russia? U.S.? Know that any coursework that you do outside of the US or Canada is entered into the AMCAS without grades figured into the gpa. Additionally, most US med schools prefer (if not require) that you do your pre-med requirements in the US. They can better evaluate you this way.

Cheers,

Judy

well it’s just like a semester abroad in russia, and you have the option to do internships or research at clinics, once finished with the program, they say in their website, you can get a transcript from Clark Atlanta U.