GRADE DISPUTES??

Hi all!! First off I am very very upset that I cannot make the conference this year, so please make sure you all have very detailed discussions when you return. So, I have had issues getting any solid information from any advisors on this issue (big surprise) basically I have some grades from 12 years ago when I attended a junior college that are incorrect, I had dropped these courses and they are showing on my transcripts as D’s and not W’s and I know I was within the drop period, also all the other classes I dropped did show W’s. I know that these D’s will reflect on my overall GPA when applying to med school and I certainly don’t want to accept grades that are not mine, so I am in the process of beginning a dispute with the college. Has anyone gone through this, and if so, were you successful in getting the grades permanently changed, so that the adcoms will see the correct grade and know nothing of the incorrect version?

I personally haven’t gone through it, but in earlier conversations I remember people saying that the process seemed to vary widely from school to school on how easy/difficult it was. Make sure there aren’t any time limits on challenging grades. That seems to be one of the big obstacles. If you have missed the deadline for challenging grades listed in school policy, there may be nothing you can do.

Good luck!

Here’s my story and I hope it helps. I got permission to take a class on e-permit last summer and registered for it. However before the class started I cancelled the e-permit. I recently discovered that I recieved an F for the class.

I made a paniced call to the registrar’s office. At first I was told there was nothing that could be done. When I pleaded with the person at the other end, she put me on hold, came back later and told me file a grade appeal with the academic comittee.

Not wanting to go thorough the rigmarole of a grade appeal, I decided to call the registar’s office again a few days later. This time I insisted on speaking with the head registrar.After a couple of days of verifying my information, my F was deleted from my transcript.

So my advice is simply contact somebody higher up in the chain of command, like the head registrar and “politely” state your case.Also if possible, it would help immensely to have verifiable proof that you dropped the class.It worked for me…hope it works for you.

• xenn Said:
Here's my story and I hope it helps. I got permission to take a class on e-permit last summer and registered for it. However before the class started I cancelled the e-permit. I recently discovered that I recieved an F for the class.

I made a paniced call to the registrar's office. At first I was told there was nothing that could be done. When I pleaded with the person at the other end, she put me on hold, came back later and told me file a grade appeal with the academic comittee.

Not wanting to go thorough the rigmarole of a grade appeal, I decided to call the registar's office again a few days later. This time I insisted on speaking with the head registrar.After a couple of days of verifying my information, my F was deleted from my transcript.

So my advice is simply contact somebody higher up in the chain of command, like the head registrar and "politely" state your case.Also if possible, it would help immensely to have verifiable proof that you dropped the class.It worked for me...hope it works for you.

I'm really kind of surprised at this. In the school I attended, if you registered for a class and have not attended classes within the first week, you are dropped from the roster and no grades will be forthcoming.

Thanks for the suggestions. It was over 12 years ago that I dropped the class, so I have no proof, other than that all the classes I did take I got A’s in and there are other W’s on my transcript. I am just upset because if from now on I get straight A’s I cannot tell med schools that my overall GPA is a 4.0 because this grade will come into play. I guess the best I could do is just be honest with the adcoms if it even comes up at all. I suppose my energy is better served elsewhere at this time, it’s not the end of the world. Thanks again and all of you have an awesome time at the conference!!!

Yeah, I was surprised too. I cancelled the e-permit almost a week before the class started and never attended the class.I should never have been on the roster to begin with, but what can I say, screw ups happen. I’m just happy this panned out in my favor. Thank goodness I kept the proof of my cancellation, otherwise who knows.

Again my advice is to talk to somebody in authority.Sometimes,people on the lower rungs can be too busy or just give misinformation (I was initially told there was nothing that could be done!).Anyway, good luck.