grades falling

Can anyone offer some advice on how they started achieving A’s in their classes, after getting less than A’s ??
How and why do some students get an 4.0 in every class they take, while others don’t? I WANT a 4.0 in every class, particularly (obviously) premed classes, but this is just not happening lately. It WAS happening though.
Perhaps this is too general of a question, but any advice would sure be appreciated.
thanks someone/anyone!

Started to study. Really study and not just kinda go thru the motions of studying…and kept the habit going.
What usually happened would be that I’d start out with a bang learning every minutea about who started chemistry and other nonsense like that. By the time 3-4 weeks had gone by I was so fried from trying to learn every word in every chapter up to that point that I would begin to coast. Delusionally expecting my first few weeks to carry me to the end. I would end up struggling to get a low B.
I’m switching from being a linear learner to conceptual. Now I work to understand the concept. This used to sound like a cop out to me because the concept was so “easy”. Turned out I wouldn’t learn the concept but a bunch of facts that would give the impression of a concept. Now it’s all concepts but I’m beginning my prereqs in 2 weeks and realistically it’s all about rote memorization at this point…
Long story even longer…look at your study habits, reading habits, comprehension, distractions during studying, what you do before, during, and after lectures, how much homework are you doing…

Hello,
Your question is very interesting, and here’s what has worked for me in terms of studying habbits. I’ve completed the first of a 2-year self-taylored post-bac programm, and so far achieved a 4.2 GPA. My program has included one year of Biology, Chemistry, Physics - each with lab, and one year of Calculus at a local university.
Prior to start of semester:

• Obtain course outlines from your university (college) and text-books several weeks prior to start;
  • Read ahead, get familiar with buz-words & concepts;
  • Find high quality web-sites to supplement the lecture material from your professors;
  • In particular, MIT’s OpenCourseWare program was crucial in helping me score well on the physics; but that was only one of several sites which I regularly visited to get additional insight into material with which I was having difficulties;

During the semester:
  • Read lecture notes prior to each class; understand material well before class;
  • Use internet to research unclear concepts prior to class, as necessary;
  • Attendance at lectures should feel like a ‘review’;
  • Attendance in class is an opportunity to ask questions on difficult concepts;
  • Be thrilled at the reaction of your classmates when YOU ask questions which they don’t understand
  • Immediately (within minutes) after a lecture, work on problems relating to material just covered;
  • By working problems, I mean try them without looking at the answers;
  • If you have trouble with a problem, go back to explanatory text, instead of looking at the answer;
  • Retry the hard problems many many times. When all else fails, then only, lookup the solution;
  • Find/make a few (2-3) good bright friends with who you can review assignments, discuss problems, and have fun with;

As the end of the semester nears (2-3 weeks before exams):
  • Start reviewing material from the early part of the semester; rework problems;
  • If possible get finals from prior years;
  • Work large quantities of problems. I have come to think that success is proportional to how much (recycled) paper you consume in working problem sets; I’ve literally used boxfulls; I kept running out of paper;

True to my word, we are now mid-May, and I am busy collecting course outlines and text books for
courses which I will be starting in September. These include Molecular Cell Biology, Human Physiology,
Organic Chemistry, and Dynamic Histology. I am thrilled beyond words, and can’t wait to get started!
Hope this helps!
Good luck,
Ron

You also have to adjust your study habits to the type of class. For example, in math-based classes like gen. chem. and physics, I did the homework REPEATEDLY–often six times or more. This sounds like a lot, but you get faster with repetition, and that’s the prize. Getting faster carries over to new problems that are similar to the homework, such as, oh, I don’t know, EXAMS. And finishing early gives you time to go back and catch mistakes and calculator errors that blow your A.
A lot of the “hard sciences” are skills as much as anything, so merely understanding is not enough. You have to PRACTICE, as if you were learning to play the piano.
On the other hand, in conceptual classes such as biology, I found study groups helpful. We would review the notes and explain things to each other, and that helps cement them in your memory and uncover mistakes, misunderstandings, and weak spots you didn’t know you had.
In general, then, it depends, and the A students make adjustments for each class.
Is there a particular class that troubles you?

These are some awesome suggestions!

I especially appreciate Ron’s emphasis on pre-study, which I definitely believe to be the most important element. And I still don’t do it nearly enough! I think, Ron, you have truly unleashed the key to success in a couple bullet points. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Jeremy

Quote:

Can anyone offer some advice on how they started achieving A’s in their classes, after getting less than A’s ??
How and why do some students get an 4.0 in every class they take, while others don’t? I WANT a 4.0 in every class, particularly (obviously) premed classes, but this is just not happening lately. It WAS happening though.
Perhaps this is too general of a question, but any advice would sure be appreciated.
thanks someone/anyone!

There have been some excellent suggestions regarding the logistics of this. I’d definitely recommend trying some, finding out what works best for you, and what works best for each class.
I want to ask, though - do you feel that your grade issues are coming from logistical or motivational sources? You say “I WANT a 4.0 in every class,” which certainly sounds motivated to me. It may pay to flesh out more, though. What motivates you? Is it sufficient motivation? If so… is it simply the matter of the right approach to learn the material?
If it’s the last one, a lot of the suggestions here could help. If it relates to motivation, that may be something this group could help with as well.

These are very excellent suggestions. My problem is that when I do this, so class feels like a review, class is so boring I can’t even stand it. So now, I let the class be my introduction and I do a million problems in the following week.
But yeah, the fundamentals of Presse’s Program for Success seem right on!

some other tips I’ve picked up that seemed to work:
-Outline and when you do then you have a condensed summary for the final
-start studying for exams a week ahead of time and do a little at a time. It really helped me understand some of the material.
Great tips everyone!

I wish I had read this before getting 2 B’s this past semester. I was doing okay in my chemistry class (a high A), but I failed the Final exam (I ran out of time studying for it, and didn’t review as thoroughly as I should have reviewed.)

I am wondering if I should retake it again. I want my grade to reflect my intelligence, not my stupidity.

Thanks.

No, don’t retake a class you got a B in. Most schools won’t let you do it, anyway. Just take the next class and blow it out of the water. That’s all you can do at this point.

Ironically, what I’ve found works best for me for getting a good grade is barely studying at all. Most people just read their textbooks to study for the exam but I read the textbook on my own as the chapters are assigned so I actually have read and know the material, because at that point, it’s just a matter of recognition and remembering what you read when you look at a question on a test. The practice quizzes/tests that are on the CD, which comes with most textbooks, are invaluable for this method because you can see what areas you’re lacking in or don’t remember and then specifically study those areas…studying everything over and over is pointless because if you already know it then you already know it.

Many thanks for the responses --especially Ron and pi1304. i am implementing these suggestions for summer quarter.

I am taking full classes during summer, so if my grades don’t happen this time, i’m dead in water basically.

Yes this is a motivational issue, as dumb as that is! I know that if i put in the hours i am virtually guaranteed the A. I think motivational issue is scary though because no one can really “motivate” another person, --can they??

–this is annoying me so much though, that i think i can pull through this, if anything just to prove that i can once again get 4.0 for all classes for 1 quarter.

In follow up to my original question though, i still wonder how some quote, “brains” are able to work part time (or more), be a part of various student organizations, tutor other students, socialize and still attain 4.0 in EVERY class they take?

Can this be just pure IQ??? or do these people actually study strategically, as per Ron’s guidelines, for example? I have to totally SLAVE away to get an A, (in science classes that is).

anyway, i have to score high in summer, or i’m toast.

thanks everyone

• PFJ Said:
Many thanks for the responses --especially Ron and pi1304. i am implementing these suggestions for summer quarter.

I am taking full classes during summer, so if my grades don't happen this time, i'm dead in water basically.

Yes this is a motivational issue, as dumb as that is! I know that if i put in the hours i am virtually guaranteed the A. I think motivational issue is scary though because no one can really "motivate" another person, --can they??

--this is annoying me so much though, that i think i can pull through this, if anything just to prove that i can once again get 4.0 for all classes for 1 quarter.

In follow up to my original question though, i still wonder how some quote, "brains" are able to work part time (or more), be a part of various student organizations, tutor other students, socialize and still attain 4.0 in EVERY class they take?

Can this be just pure IQ??? or do these people actually study strategically, as per Ron's guidelines, for example? I have to totally SLAVE away to get an A, (in science classes that is).

anyway, i have to score high in summer, or i'm toast.

thanks everyone

Ah, that's not dumb as all; we've all been there, I think. IMHO, motivational issues limit us more than any finite capacity for learning. The good news is that you've recognized it early enough, and it's something in your hands to control.

Re: "still wonder how some quote, "brains" are able to work part time (or more), be a part of various student organizations, tutor other students, socialize and still attain 4.0 in EVERY class they take?"

Personally, I think that's largely an issue of learning technique. It's not even necessarily the studying methods, so much as in what way we've (largely subconsciously) learned to encode, store, and retrieve information. And of course, there are also the other "big" things not mentioned.

For example, I can typically retain things once I've sufficiently processed them - be that reading repeatedly until it "clicks," or applying the concept to make it stick, or teaching it to another student. I've also been able to work full time, attend school part time, and maintain a healthy social life --- BUT I'm a single guy living in an apartment. I didn't have to come home, feed my family, and mow the lawn. I have the utmost respect for those who are able to balance those priorities with school progress. I can always come home late from class and not go out with friends; their children still need to be fed

Back to the topic at hand:

Excellent study habits, like Ron's or samenewme's, are ... well, excellent. I think anyone who follows that advice fastidiously will go far. As slb suggested, though - those ideas may not be optimal for everyone. You definitely need to find the study techniques, habits, tricks, that work for you. So the next question becomes: how do you best learn? Is repetition the key? Group work? Conceptual understanding?

... And back to motivation. You say it's scary, and you're absolutely right. I said earlier that the great thing about it is that it's all internal... well, the terrible thing about it is that it's all internal. When I was going through my motivational struggles, that aspect made it much worse; there was this cycle of guilt that kept bringing me down.

I think you're motivated, though. You wouldn't be a non-traditional pre-med taking a full summer courseload and consciously striving to excel if you weren't. Somewhere between the start and the finish, then, is probably the stumbling block (profound, I know ). Perhaps you're somehow intimidated or overwhelmed. Perhaps you sometimes bite off more than you can (comfortably) chew. Hell, maybe it's related entirely to something physiological, like your blood sugar or caffeine intake

So again I'll ask - and it's without judgement, and it doesn't have to be answered here - what is your motivation? What is it about this arduous marathon that is worth it to you? What is it that gives you - along with the rest of us - the remarkable chutzpah to say that we can do this?

You say that nobody can really motivate someone else, and that is correct. I cannot motivate you, just like I can't "sell" you. All I can do is provide information, ideas, and angles, and allow you to make of them what you will.

Perhaps OldManDave's product testimonial will inspire you. Perhaps the excellent study guides will provide structure. Perhaps my rambling musings will give some insight as well .

The brave aren't those who never face challenges, but those who overcome them.

Motivation has to come internally. The above is my wording - but it's certainly not my original concept. Others can provide you the material; you just need to make it your own.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward, it is not a compliment to say it is brave. - Mark Twain

Or more succinctly:

If you're going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

I think that raw IQ does play some role, but only on the extreme side of things, either low or high. For the overwhelming majority of the population, in this case student population, there has to be more to it.

As has been suggested, I agree that the “more” in question is in how a person studies. Many people learn well through rote learning, which, IMHO, works well for when simpler material is being learned or when the volume of material is smaller. However, as the volume of material increases and/or complexity increases, this study strategy becomes less and less successful. This is when an approach of learning to understand becomes essential. One excellent way of doing this is to put together concept maps, continuing to build on them as you continue in a subject. You know you’re really doing well when you can start to bring together concepts from your multiple courses into a “global” concept map.

Another strategy I try to use is to always ask myself (or others if they’re around) “Why?” questions. More often than not, the answer comes up in the reading within a page, but sometimes it requires me to go beyond a particular textbook or particular professor in order to get the answer. This really begins to bring together concepts and also helps to train your mind to dive deeper and to draw relationships.

Personal and group study works well for this idea, but it’s also important to bring it into the lecture classroom. Because you don’t want to be one of those annoying people with the hand in the air throughout the whole lecture jot down the “why?” questions on the side of your notes or in a separate notebook as they pop into your mind and then begin putting the answers together when class is finished. Then, after you have some thoughts on the answer, confirm them with your professor or with others you respect.

A friend and I sat through biochemistry just longing for the days of organic chemistry. I suspect a similar situation will occur for all of us once we get into medical school–we’ll look back and laugh at how easy all the pre-req material was!

Good luck!!

• Larry Said:

This is when an approach of learning to understand becomes essential. One excellent way of doing this is to put together concept maps, continuing to build on them as you continue in a subject. You know you're really doing well when you can start to bring together concepts from your multiple courses into a "global" concept map.

Another strategy I try to use is to always ask myself (or others if they're around) "Why?" questions.

This really begins to bring together concepts and also helps to train your mind to dive deeper and to draw relationships.

... jot down the "why?" questions on the side of your notes or in a separate notebook as they pop into your mind and then begin putting the answers together when class is finished. Then, after you have some thoughts on the answer, confirm them with your professor or with others you respect.

I wanted to 'snip and choose' through Larry's post to highlight some of it that I really agree with.

I definitely find - for my learning style, at least - that "learning to understand" is key; and further, that he's spot-on about those concept maps. Exactly how one visualises it, or comes to that conclusion, I don't think is as relevant is that I can step back and ... well, I don't know what. Whatever, I guess IMHO, it's good to be able to step back and say "Oh, *that* makes sense!" or see where something fits in, or consider an analogue to something else, or view it as a fractal representation of the larger puzzle, or...

Again, there are lots of approaches, lots of right ways, lots of right answers, and we all just need to find what's right for us. I just like rambling about it in a kind of flow-of-thought mode - it probably highlights my background of cognitive theories and my, well, rambling mind

I find that Larry's "Why?" approach is very useful as well - or as I call it, the two-year-old approach While there most likely needs to be a limit, a level of abstraction at which we simply accept --- and whether that level is atomic physics or biochemical --- well, the work at multiple layers is one thing that really impresses me about doctors and the medical education process.

As means of example: a number of people on the treatment team could tell you what it means if a diabetic's breath smelled fruity, or tell you how to treat a patient who's hyperventilating. The bigger picture, though, and how it all interacts... well, that involves aspects of chemistry and buffer solutions, physics and pressure gradients, biochemistry, histology, the physiology of the digestive, pulmonary, endocrine, and cardiovascular systems... all of that, and the underlying science, and the systemic interactions, and the etiology and diagnosis and prognosis.

To be honest, I don't really have the perspective to say whether that's the best example of my point; for all I know, every candystriper could give you all of that information and really grasp it well. To me, though, the point isn't that a broad and profound understanding makes doctors better than others; it just highlights the way I want to understand it all.

And since I'm feeling somewhat self-conscious today: please forgive my tangent... I find discussions like this very interesting

Just to satisfy my own inquisitivess regarding what makes brainiacs tick, I want to interview (via e-mail) about 10 4.0 students (science majors) at my school, pool data and find any common themes in their study habits.

I do suspect though that, raw IQ plays bigger role than most people think, because if one can understanding new concepts at the INSTANT they are presented, (ie, not having to reread and go to other sources for comprehension)then that necessarily cuts down time for going over notes later, makes homework easier (and faster) and frees up time for other activities (like work!).

I also suspect that, based on some of these posts, my currect method of studying and just getting through classes is vasty insufficienct and needs to be drastically modified in order to survive the next year.

re: gpa, just curious, --how does one attain a 4.2gpa? (Ron/Presse)? wow that sounds impossibly impressive! (ie… how does one score beyond 4.0?)

I think, perhaps, that there are two different ways of looking at the IQ/GPA relationship. For lack of a better way of describing it, one is considering it more from the side of IQ and one is more from the side of GPA.

Is there a larger representation of 4.0’s among those of higher IQ’s (outside the normal range) than those of normal or lower IQ’s? I would imagine so.

However, is there a larger representation of higher IQ students among the 4.0 ranks than normal or lower IQ students? I’m not so sure about this. My guess would be no. Having a normal IQ does not preclude a person from attaining a 4.0. Nor does having a high IQ guarantee that someone will become a 4.0 student.

I guess the point is, we work with what we have!

The discussion of IQ, I think, diverges into two different questions.

One is the unending nature/nurture debate, classifying IQ as nature and study habits as nurture. “Which is more important?” we ask.

The other is then “How accurate a metric is IQ, anyway?” Does it accurately assess one’s capacity to learn? If so, does it necessarily reflect intrinsic aspects, rather than those learned, even if implicitly?

Instead of going into an in-depth discussion on my own beliefs on these types of subjects (IQ tests, multiple intelligences, pattern matching, and pigenholing individuals), I think I’ll just leave some interesting links I just found via a brief google scholar search:

twin study correlating RT, IQ, and working memory:

link

accuracy of self reports? :

link

abstracts only:

link

linky

alternatives or further info sources:

link

• PFJ Said:

I am taking full classes during summer, so if my grades don't happen this time, i'm dead in water basically.

Yes this is a motivational issue, as dumb as that is! I know that if i put in the hours i am virtually guaranteed the A. I think motivational issue is scary though because no one can really "motivate" another person, --can they??

--this is annoying me so much though, that i think i can pull through this, if anything just to prove that i can once again get 4.0 for all classes for 1 quarter.

In follow up to my original question though, i still wonder how some quote, "brains" are able to work part time (or more), be a part of various student organizations, tutor other students, socialize and still attain 4.0 in EVERY class they take?

Can this be just pure IQ??? or do these people actually study strategically, as per Ron's guidelines, for example? I have to totally SLAVE away to get an A, (in science classes that is).

anyway, i have to score high in summer, or i'm toast.

thanks everyone

Hi, PFJ,

I just want to mention a couple of things. First, consider that you will always have a second or third or fourth chance, so don't beat yourself up over a grade. If medicine is what you really want, don't let one exam or one semester course become your make-or-break moment. You'll get past it and learn how to achieve what you need to achieve. Everyone has less than stellar moments in school but I believe what medical schools are interested in is how you recover from a stumble.

Also I wanted to add a minor thing to presse and samenewme's excellent study suggestions. If your class has a help room, go to it even if you don't feel you have any questions. Others will be there with questions and you can listen to them and perhaps pick up a tip or two. Also, you can share your knowledge with other students and thus cement it better in your own mind. Teaching is the best way to really lock down what you've learned.

Good luck and don't give up!