Graduate school GPA?

When looking at course work, do admissions committees give any consideration to graduate school gpa? No doubt this has been brought up in the past.

Graduate GPAs aren’t factored as heavily as undergrad GPAs. My understanding is that this is based on the kind of tweaking-the-scale of grad-level classes, where a B is borderline and a C is semi-failing.

I think it depends on what you did in grad school, when you did it, and what else is on your application. From what I understand (and what I’ve seen) there’s a printout in your application with your grades summarized in block that’s about 4"x8". Left column is science (PCMB), and the right is “other”. Rows are under-grad, post-bacc, other grad, (and I don’t remember what else).

I like to think of the adcoms as humans (I like to picture my mother) looking at this little summary, trying to get a good idea of what you can do. Ever since I saw the actual summary, it’s changed my perspective a bit. If the line for grad-school (mine is non-science) says 4.0, it can hardly hurt. If the post-bacc and MCAT are good, but the undergrad is poor, I think they take it into consideration.

Your grad school grades are just a piece of the puzzle. If they are going to scrutinize one thing more closely than another, my guess it that it probably be most recent coursework and the overall science GPA.

Hope that’s encouraging

Here
is what overthemoon is describing. Hope it helps.

• peterhass Said:
When looking at course work, do admissions committees give any consideration to graduate school gpa? No doubt this has been brought up in the past.

Yes. But unfortunately, your grad school GPA will not make up for a poor UG GPA, especially if your MCAT score is also below average.

Someone else mentioned about adcoms being human....they are. Things like trends definitely matter, at least at my school. In other words, if you had a bad freshman year but then got your act together as an upperclassman (but you still have a low overall GPA), that will be taken into account. If you did poorly in college ten years ago but then got straight As in two years of post bac (but still have a low overall GPA), that will be taken into account. If you grew up underprivileged and this affected your school performance, that will be taken into account. All that being said, you *do* still have to remediate yourself to prove that you can handle the work. Medical school is really fast-paced and tough, and adcoms don't want to waste a seat on someone who has a high likelihood of not making it through the program. So, do you what you need to do to prove that you have what it takes. Luck to you all.