Graphing calc?

I’m taking calc this spring and need to get my grubby mitts on a graphing calculator. Any recommendations from the gang? I’m not sure if I’ll need this for physics or it’s just a one-time investment.

hak

P.S. Nailed a 4.0 for fall semester (after taking a W in chemistry II). I’m retaking chem II this spring, along with calc and biology II. Will be a fun semester with the full-time job as well.

I’m also taking Calc this semester (after being out of school for a few years). I’m doing the homework over and over to make sure I have it down. We had our first quiz yesterday and I got a 100%!!! Our first exam is tomorrow though, so I’ve been working on that.

Anyway, to answer your question… I’m using a TI83 calculator and it’s working out great. You could probably find a good deal on them on EBay.

Good luck!!!

The TI-83 (Texas Instruments) is a good, solid, graphing calculator with just about every function you will want. You might, however, want to check with the math and/or science department at your school and see if they have certain calculators that are “approved”. Many schools will only let you use a calculator from their approved list on exams. (My school did).

TI-83 family (there are so many variants) of calculators are pretty much the norm. Often times, the instructor has tips on which calculator he/she feels will maximize your performance but they will probably just recommend the TI-83.

Tangential anecdote: when I took Calc II back in '00 the school math department made a critical error on not banning the TI-89. That calculator was like the 83 on steroids. It could basically integrate/differentiate for you, and this capability was built in and wasn’t some obscure program you had to write yourself. Also did nifty things like pump out Fourier series for you… yea, I’m pretty sure schools have wised up

I use the 84 SE myself. I don’t really notice any difference between the 83 and my calc based off seeing other people use their 83; the 84 just seems to process a bit faster and have more memory. I would say get an 83 or 84, depending on which you can find cheaper on E-bay, and run with it. Just be careful which one you buy on E-bay…they tend not to work too well after they’ve been dropped a few times on hard surfaces.

Speaking of Calc (although this might be more algebra review), does anyone know the domain of:

F(x) = 3xcubed + 2xsquared + 4

And the domain of:

F(x) = The Square Root of 2x - 3

I had a Calc test tonight and I’m not sure about those.

For the first one I said all real numbers, for the second I said x is greater than or equal to 1.5

I’m hoping I didn’t blow my shot at an A on the exam with these two.

• RBinLouisville Said:
Speaking of Calc (although this might be more algebra review), does anyone know the domain of:

F(x) = 3xcubed + 2xsquared + 4

And the domain of:

F(x) = The Square Root of 2x - 3

I had a Calc test tonight and I'm not sure about those.

For the first one I said all real numbers, for the second I said x is greater than or equal to 1.5

I'm hoping I didn't blow my shot at an A on the exam with these two.

Well, the first one is all real numbers. The second one's domain I /think/ is x equal to or greater than 3/2 (or 1.5) like you said. I think you're safe.

Awesome! Thanks!!!

At UTDallas, we were strictly prohibited from using anything more advanced than a 4-function calc with simple memory - unable to store forumulas, only individual numbers. And, even those proved nearly worthless. All answers had to be expressed in their fractional form - if it was in decimel form - NO POINTS AWARDED. Also, ALL of the calc problems were within the realm of trigonometry, meaning you had to have trig mastered prior to even attempting Calc 1. The Calc 1/Calc 2 sequence there is reknowned for its brutality!

UTDallas used to be the TX Grad Institute & is a major engineering school. That is reflected in all science & math coursework.

Wow, I’m glad our Calc class isn’t like that, it sounds tough. Our Calc class requires a TI83 or TI84 for graphing. We actually have an entire chapter coming up on graphing on the calculator. I’m taking a stats class right now that won’t allow a graphing calculator for that reason, they don’t want students saving info on their calculators that could be used on an exam.

For your class, I’d ask the instructor what he or she recommends.

Actually, now that I think about it the class I’m in is called A Brief Survey of Calculus. It’s a requirement for all Business majors (I’m finishing up a business degree before starting my prereqs). Would that count as my semester of Calc?

When I took calculus, our instructor actually collected the calculators before an exam and cleared their memory; any formulas, notes, etc. . . all gone. You should have heard the groans from some of my classmates!