Great Advise Needed - Urgent -

A brief background:

29 year old male, URM, from underserved area in California, grew up disadvantaged, Moved from a Latin American country 15 years ago.

Didn’t really know what I wanted from college, was immature, first in family to attend college, personal and family problems turned into an ugly outcome. Went to college off and on, right now I am 5 classes away from obtaining my B. S. in Public Health.

The Problem? Close to 40 W’s from times where I had to drop classes because of family/personal/financial issues. GPA: 2.6 and as mentioned, 6 classes away from graduating with my B. S. in Public Health.

My academic record is very scattered because of the reasons mentioned.

Its been 2 years since I stepped in school and I started last semester and got a 4.0 from classes such as Anatomy, Microbiology, Physiology. I have a really good chance ~90% of getting accepted to a Nursing Program (2 year degree).

Option A) Complete the 2 year ASN nursing degree, try to get a 4.0 GPA and also complete my B.S. with those remaining classes I need plus all the med school pre-reqs. This will show a new phase in my academic record.

Option B) Finish my B.S. in Public Health and pick up a double major in Biology or Chemistry where I can complete my pre-reqs and still complete more classes that will show a good upward trend.

Option C) Complete my B.S. in Public Health plus the pre-reqs, and do a Postbacc program

Option D) Complete my B.S. in Public Health and go straight into a Postbacc Program where I will need to take the pre-reqs.

I have been doing research in public health for the past 2 years, I have major autonomy on two projects. I also have medical experience working in EMS and volunteering at several places, such as free clinic and rescue mission.

I wish I could hit delete or restore and start all over, sadly I cant so I want to draw a line and start all over again. Which of these options do you guys think is better? I want to apply by age 31, meaning start med school at 32 more or less.

So I am looking for some honest and straight forward advice, which option do you guys think will give me the best bet?

Greatly appreciate it.

2.6 GPA is low. You need to boost that GPA up to at least a 3.0 for any chance at medical school (DO) and even that would be tough. Not sure what option would be best … others on here can help you with that. You might look at the Caribbean as an option too.

I’ll disagree with the 3.0. Recent data suggests that the main reason medical school matriculating school school averages are so so high is that less and less students per seat are applying. The perception seems to be that medical school is so difficult to get into that only hard-core “gunners” are applying, much to the dismay of the schools who for years have tried to increase diversity and looking at applicants as whole person and not just GPA and MCAT. Last year, in terms of applicant to seat ratio, allopathic schools had 2.2 ratio while osteopathic had 2.7. Yes, it was more competitive to get into osteopathic school than allopathic. I think the 3.0 has taken on mythical proportions. Its difficult but people make it seem impossible.

Remember you are building a picture of yourself and trying to have all the pieces of your application support that in a compelling, concise, coherent narrative of new GPA, MCAT, EC, personal statement.

Medical schools have tried for years to work towards a diversity and have of late driven themselves back into an ivory tower. I think you have a better chance than you think. will the odds be against you? absolutely. But then again, the odds are against everybody

• MexicanDr Said:
right now I am 5 classes away from obtaining my B. S. in Public Health.

I have a really good chance ~90% of getting accepted to a Nursing Program (2 year degree).

Lets explore the options that you suggested

• MexicanDr Said:
Option A) Complete the 2 year ASN nursing degree, try to get a 4.0 GPA and also complete my B.S. with those remaining classes I need plus all the med school pre-reqs. This will show a new phase in my academic record.

if you get a nursing degree and jump right into medical school applications, adcoms will see you as undecided and uncommitted. If you get nursing, you should work in the field for a few years. Btw, with your public health degree and advanced nursing fields, this may be a satisfying life. Just a thought

• MexicanDr Said:
Option B) Finish my B.S. in Public Health and pick up a double major in Biology or Chemistry where I can complete my pre-reqs and still complete more classes that will show a good upward trend.

it would show a trend, but not a tremendous impact on GPA

• MexicanDr Said:
Option C) Complete my B.S. in Public Health plus the pre-reqs, and do a Postbacc program

a post-bacc is mostly pre-reqs and would seem redundant to do both

• MexicanDr Said:
Option D) Complete my B.S. in Public Health and go straight into a Postbacc Program where I will need to take the pre-reqs.

I think this option is best because this will directly show the most impact on the GPA the Adcoms will see. That is Post-bacc GPA will be a separate line item on both MD and DO applications. That and a stellar MCAT might get you thru initial screening.

So if you are sure of medical school now, I would look at option D. Option A will put you back a few years but may put in you in a better position to apply in 5 or 6 years .

• MexicanDr Said:
I have been doing research in public health for the past 2 years, I have major autonomy on two projects. I also have medical experience working in EMS and volunteering at several places, such as free clinic and rescue mission.

With the decreasing applicant pool and this hits historically under-represented groups even more so, I think the above shows excellent commitment and motivation.

(Technical note: ran into quote limit on system hence odd quoting below)

“quote=MexicanDr I wish I could hit delete or restore and start all over, sadly I cant so I want to draw a line and start all over again.”

Well there is another possibility, the DO route allows repeated course grades to replace original course grades. that may have a much larger impact on your GPA

“quote=MexicanDr: Which of these options do you guys think is better? I want to apply by age 31, meaning start med school at 32 more or less.”

Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly? If you don't get into medical school by 32, will you not apply again? You have to decide what you are willing to give up in this journey, and perhaps your age barrier is it

If you want to be a nurse, get the nursing degree. Otherwise, do not. Under no circumstances should you get the nursing degree as a way to try to prove something to medical schools. From everything I have heard, it won’t work.

The purpose of your medical school application is to get you into an interview. The purpose of the interview is to get you into medical school. As long as you can secure the interview, you have a chance to sell yourself to them.

Do well in your classes now, get solid LORs, and make sure you know yourself, your history, and your reasons for blowing off school earlier and (more importantly) why you can succeed in med school now. If your MCAT scores are solid, I expect you will get at least a few interviews, especially if you’re Latino. At that point, it’s simply a matter of convincing them you’re the person they want, despite early scholastic struggles.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I’m not a doctor or a med student. But I have lots of experience with interviewing, and I know that’s really where the rubber meets the road. The resume (and by extension the med school application) serves only to get you to talk to them face to face.

• spoxjox Said:
If you want to be a nurse, get the nursing degree. Otherwise, do not. Under no circumstances should you get the nursing degree as a way to try to prove something to medical schools. From everything I have heard, it won't work.

The purpose of your medical school application is to get you into an interview. The purpose of the interview is to get you into medical school. As long as you can secure the interview, you have a chance to sell yourself to them.

Do well in your classes now, get solid LORs, and make sure you know yourself, your history, and your reasons for blowing off school earlier and (more importantly) why you can succeed in med school now. If your MCAT scores are solid, I expect you will get at least a few interviews, especially if you're Latino. At that point, it's simply a matter of convincing them you're the person they want, despite early scholastic struggles.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not a doctor or a med student. But I have lots of experience with interviewing, and I know that's really where the rubber meets the road. The resume (and by extension the med school application) serves only to get you to talk to them face to face.

I concur strongly with everything above. If you are going to do for medicine, then go with your option D of a postbacc. I know the Osteopathic school at Western Pacific heavily recruits minority and historically under-represented and may be a good place to look into.

I will also say that like every student you should have a plan B and yours would appear nursing. Put that aside for a few years while you do your best to get into medical school and revisit at a later date if need be

Option D seems most appropriate if you’re looking to attend medical school. As a URM from California, you should certainly look into the post bacc programs offered by the UC system - The California Postbaccalaureate Consortium (https://meded-postbac.ucsd.edu/). The program is “designed to assist students from educationally and economically disadvantaged backgrounds.” While I can’t say whether you’re eligible, you should certainly learn more.

Good luck.

Let me just say this, as a fellow Latino.

8% of all medical school applications are Hispanic

1% of those 8% get accepted.

We need more Hispanic physicians, especially since the number of Hispanics in this country is growing.